Termite capping

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by macrr, 23rd Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. macrr

macrr Member

I have had a building and pest inspection completed on a house we are in the process of buying. The only thing that the has been brought up is that when renovations were completed on the lower floor, they bridged the antcapping.

It has been recommended that we get termite barrier installed, at an estimated cost of 2-5k. Is this something that you would request the sellers to reduce the price of the sale by? Or is it a case of, too bad, so sad?

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

You can always try. At worst they'll say "NO"

The Y-man

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Regardless of having ant caps or not, a termite barrier is possibly a good idea, depending on the situation at this particular house. But that doesn't mean the vendor would be expected to pay for a preventative procedure because you want one.

As a vendor I would think it rather cheeky and say no to this request (unless I was desperate to sell). In today's climate, it would be easier to say "next" knowing it will likely sell tomorrow.

I know many will say to ask for a reduction. You might get a slight reduction, or you might find the vendor doesn't wish to deal with you.

My parents had a purchaser asking for them to pay for a $5k barrier system 12 years ago. There were no termites in the house but there was a nest in a stump near the back fence. That quote came from a pest guy, and our own pest guy said he would do it four around $2.5k.

My mother called their bluff and they settled at the agreed price. They may or may not have had the barrier done or just had the nest treated and had bait stations set.

Just be careful in today's climate as the next buyer is likely to be along tomorrow if you rub the vendor up the wrong way.

Stoffo likes this.