Termite Barriers

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Foreshadow, 15th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Foreshadow

Foreshadow Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Was just wondering your thoughts on the use and value for money of Termite Barriers.

I noticed at a recent inspection of a house I purchased last year in the northern suburbs of Brisbane that the 5 year warranty for an old Termite Barrier expired this month. I've been quoted $1650 for Biflex, or $2200 for Termidor, to update the barrier.

The pest inspection i had done when purchasing the property found no evidence of termites. But them again the main reason for the barrier is to lessen the risk or future attacks. I'm just unsure if the cost is worth it.

Id love to hear peoples opinions.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Give Wayne Creed (Rifle Pest Management) a call. He will tell it like it is, no hard sell, but if you need a barrier, he will do a good job and not charge like a wounded bull.
    0412 489 710

We don't do barriers due to having high set houses, but Wayne checks our places once a year and does anything required (baiting station, drill stumps etc).

Tranquilo and EN710 like this.
  3. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Whether it is a slab house or a high set with ant caps, old or new, surrounded by concrete, garden beds or wood chips would change how I would approach this.
    Have there been previous termite attacks? Water leaks? Is there any timber lying around, is there old tree stumps nearby?
    With some of this information I would make an assessment of risk vs ongoing cost.

4. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

A worthwhile reminder for me.

My IP is a highset. Unfortunately when the previous owner walled-in the lower level, they did it in such a way that increases termite risk. It just means I'll need to have it checked yearly.

5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Just installed one for my new ip as it is low set and the garage conversion wasn't treated at all. With Fipronil approx. $1950, quote with Termidor is at $2450

6. A Jeremy

A Jeremy Active Member

Only you can decide if it's worth it and to find out I suggest take a minute to think about a time when you faced the ramifications after having had to make a similar decision. Have you ever let an insurance policy lapse and have to pay out of pocket? You can break down the costs and calculate it as a per week, month or year cost and you can also calculate the cost of dealing with the damage if termites moved in. For costs I always use worst-case scenarios.

Jeremy

7. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

Just used Wayne thanks to @wylie Really good in explaining everything and good price too.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF