Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Termite Barrier Warranty

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by hash_investor, 20th Jul, 2016.

1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Hi all, did any of you transferred any termite warranty after your purchase the IP? I spoke to my pest inspector and he says barrier has been installed and it usually has a 50 years warranty if maintained properly but I need to speak to the installation company and transfer the warranty to my name.

I have not heard about it before so was wondering if this is something people normally do? I can't get hold of the installation company as well so no sure if all this is even worth it.

2. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

What sort of barrier is it?
    I think Termimesh requires a inspection after 10 years?
    Chemical barrels normally only last up to 8 years and will most likely need yearly inspections.

3. hash_investor

It probably is a termimesh because the inspector said it works for 50 years. It is installed around the building.

Outside it is chemical treatment only I think because he gave me a quote to do it which will last for 5 years he said.

4. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Maybe contact Termimesh directly as they are a nationwide company?
    My ppor has it and one IP but I haven't followed it up for the IP.
    I've got a few places with chemical barriers though and keep these current as they are higher risk. The older places with ant caps I haven't bothered as there is no need.

5. hash_investor

I have been told the name of the company is TermForce. Can't find it anywhere.

6. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Somerville Vic?

7. hash_investor

The house is in QLD though so not sure if that is the one. Also could not find the contact info for that company in vic. I found a mobile number on the internet but the guy there was extremely rude.

8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

The meter box at the property should have the details, I would get your PM to check otherwise call Termimesh, it's likely to be one of their products used by another pest control company.
    Other than that I have no idea.:p

9. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I had been paying for a termite protection [chemical barrier] for 10 years plus annual pest inspections - when I put my house up for sale in February it was found to have extensive termite damage, cost me over $20,000 for repairs. I was told it was damage that occurred years ago and had gradually deteriorated over the years, not sure if I believe this :(

I was lucky that a prospective buyer who was at the first open was still interested, knew about the termite damage and went ahead with the sale. I gave him the invoice from the builder who repaired the damage, new carpets etc. and he was happy.

I also got the price I was looking for, but of course I was $20,000+ poorer :)

10. hash_investor

Do you mean electric meter ? Or gas or water ? What meter ?

11. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Electricity meter box with the safety switches etc. I think that's a fairly standard location to record what barriers are installed, solar hot water, solar panels etc.
    The location of the water meter varies a bit more, at least in Qld depending on the age of the property. Your pm should be to locate it easily I think.

12. hash_investor

Thanks.
    So I spoke to my inspector again. He had previously not spelled the name of the system correctly so now after he told me again it turned out to be "trithor". Apparently its a name of a product which is installed by a few different companies so I will have to check who installed mine.

Last edited: 20th Jul, 2016
  13. Richard Williams

Richard Williams Buyers Agent - Southeast QLD Business Member

Electric, or sometimes inside the kitchen cupboard doors...