Terminating letting agreement with agent

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by 65fbk, 11th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 65fbk

65fbk Member

Hi All,

I have an IP in Sydney and would like to change the managing agent.

I know they will want 3 months notice.
    They have allowed a tenant to stay in my property without paying rent for several months.
    I had to take the initiative to have them evicted. Many weeks later, once they were gone we discovered the place is a mess. Lots of damage, mostly intentional. Three people on the lease, yet 12 mattresses needed to be removed. I'm not happy with the job they have been doing.

Is there any way to dodge the 3 month notice period?
    I feel they have not acted in accordance with the agreement, so I don't feel I should either.
    Last time I tried to dump them they said I could pay 3 months management fees and move on immediately. If I ditch them while it's vacant, is 3 month's fees equal to $0 :)

Any advice on how to get out of this agreement? I don't want them managing it for a further 3 months, knowing they are about to lose it, as they will care evrn less!

Thanks.

2. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

You can get them to handover sooner but you may have to pay them out for the 3 months of management fees. If you are between tenants or in the last month before end of tenancy, I'd pay just to get it out of their hands as quickly as possible because mismanagement, especially at end of a lease, will cost you so much money.
    And now you know, for any future agents, get them to change of the contract to max 1 month termination period or go with a different agent.