Tennis courts and swimming pools on common property in QLD.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by pwnitat0r, 1st Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. pwnitat0r

pwnitat0r Well-Known Member

Hi,

who normally looks after the maintenance and access for tennis courts and swimming pools contained on common property managed under a strata in QLD?

The tenant is asking for access to the tennis courts which is fair enough. I've been asking the PM to organise a key for her and after following up, they came back saying "no one is able to assist us".

I asked what the strata said. I then got this response:

"I have contacted the strata management, they advised that they do not manage the tennis court or the pool. I was given the name, Heritage Recreations Services. This company is managed by QBS. I phoned them, however they do not keep keys in office and will need to contact Heritage Recreation Services to find out how to obtain a key. The lady advised that she would phone me back with more information.

Please note that there will be a fee involved, the amount is yet to be confirmed."

I'm paying close to 9% in management fees so I'm pretty annoyed, as I don't pay them 9% to collect rent.

I'm going to call the strata myself on Monday and get it first hand.. but, how do these things normally work? I assumed the strata would take care of them.

2. chrish

chrish Well-Known Member

I guess it's possible that the strata or COO may have hired someone else to look after those facilities, however you should not have to pay an access fee, you already pay strata fees! If that really is the case, I'd complain to the COO committee.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Depends on what is in the strata management agreement - who knows, the courts may be leased/managed by that other crowd, they collect the money & take bookings from all paying customers and at the end of the year all owner's share in the crumbs left over from management.

Some agreements provide for residents' use at a discount rate. These questions should have been asked when you purchased.

qak and Pumpkin like this.
  4. Matthew Savage

Matthew Savage Well-Known Member

The body corporate is responsible for managing all common property. If your scheme is large enough to have a tennis court and swimming pool it will almost certainly have a person or company engaged as a caretaker.

The caretaker's job is generally to look after maintenance and facilities and you will pay your share of their contract fee through your levies.

The fee your agent mentioned will most likely be for a key, which is fair enough as they are not free for the body corporate to supply to people.

Matt

Pumpkin likes this.
  5. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

"Strata" is such a broad term, and includes Body Corp Manager BCM (Secretary) and Onsite Manager(Caretaker). Do you know whether there is a OSM?

No doubt you have paid Levy so do you know what that includes? You'd be amazed that some dont include Building Insurance. Perhaps dig thru your Body Corp records if you can get hold of the BCM.

Agree with @Matthew Savage above, just need to add that Body Corp includes all Owners, ie yourself. The OSM/Caretaker should only be taking instructions from the BC/Committee. But more often than not, especially when there isnt an active Committee, the OSM would need to act to the best of their ability using their own judgment....

What kind of property is that? Apartment or townhouse or something else? I know of an apartment Complex has a Bowls Club, sharing the same wall with very basic fencing and gates. But residents dont get to use the Bowls Club, and Caretaker dont look after it either....

6. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Get a key off one of the other residents and copy it?

7. Scott No Mates

Usually restricted master key system - can't copy without consent.

mikey7 likes this.
  8. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Tom Rivera and Scott No Mates like this.
  9. Scott No Mates

I prefer these, they seem to work with fixed locks, deadlocks, bolts and more.

10. 158

158 Well-Known Member

And these suckers save even more time and effort:
    Search - Our range

pinkboy