Tennant not what he seemed.. drugs/gangs.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Chris Russell, 19th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

If he's about to break lease, then that is probably a stupid thing for you to do.

Why would you bother asking for proof of the redundancy? It doesn't affect the break lease liability. And you can only claim against the bond for your losses - you don't get to arbitrarily keep the bond in any situation.

Maybe you should consider getting a PM if you are not familiar with the tenancy laws and procedures.

2. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Actually it may. A CAT could permit early termination of the lease on hardship grounds, and you wouldn't necessarily get diddly in break costs.

That said, last I heard redundancy meant he should have come into a bit of cash (as he would have been paid out any holidays on top of the redundancy payment) so why that would mean he cant afford to pay is a bit mysterious.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

At my workplace, I would get one week's pay for every year of employment if made redundant - not sure if there is a minimum number of years to have worked to be eligible.

So not necessarily a huge amount of money.

4. Chomp

Chomp Well-Known Member

After being shafted before, I tell all my tenants.

You will get your bond money after you have moved out and I have inspected the property. It needs to undamaged, free of any old junk / furniture and clean enough for another tenant to move straight in.

As per our lease agreement, I do not hand bond money over until then.

5. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Depends on how long you have been employed and what your agreement it but the NES (national employment standard) is as follows;

Welcome to the Fair Work Ombudsman website

upload_2016-9-13_11-21-37.png

upload_2016-9-13_11-21-54.png

So if the tenant had been working there for less than 1 year they have nothing for redundancy.