Tennant not what he seemed.. drugs/gangs.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Chris Russell, 19th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Chris Russell

Chris Russell Member

Hi guys,

I've got an IP in perth and asking for a bit of advice regarding my tennant.

Basically its a brand new villa we purchased and are leasing out, we rang all of his references 2x previous land lords and his boss in the construction field and they couldn't say a bad word about him pays on time etc etc etc. He is mid 20's and came across as the perfect tennant, so we signed the rental agreement he payed bond all good. He moved in 2 weeks ago.

He claims somebody tried breaking in last week and gave me a call, which I told him to file a police report for a attempted break and enter. He didn't want to cause a fuss and said nah all good just want to let you know. So I let it be. Fast forward a week, this morning he said somebody broke in and stole a large sum of cash but left all of his jewelry and went to no other room except for the main bedroom which has no alarm sensor. So I told him to file a police report this time which he did and gave me the report number.

I went down to have a look and there was no sign of forced entry. The window he claimed they entered through an is an awning window which had the flyscreen on and had no signs of screwdriver marks or anything like that to pry it open. A child would struggle to fit through let alone an adult. I asked him why he didn't take photo's or call the police in the first place, which he didn't really have an answer to..

He mentioned that the forensics were going to go there and have a look and also question him about why he had such a large sum of money there.

As i was leaving I spoke to a neighbour who has spoken to him a few times and got to know him and said that during conversation he mentioned he is involved with drugs and gangs, this neighbour also mentioned my tennant owed somebody a large sum of money.. Which is what makes me believe he is fabricating this whole scenario of the missing cash and attempted break ins...

Anyways before I found about the above, I offered to set up CCTV and put up some sensor lights which we were going to do anyways before he moved in and it will not cost me a lot to do as I am in the trade.

He is also asking about getting a security door installed at the front door and an additional alarm sensor in the main bedroom which I believe is an unreasonable request.

His first payment of rent is due on Monday so I hope he doesn't use this as an excuse to not pay.
    What would a reasonable landlord do if you were in the same scenario? Obviously I have no written proof or evidence of the above I rang the police who put me onto freedom of information and could only confirm that the tennant had lodged a report but couldn't disclose details of the report to me. they could only confirm that the "damaged" window was not included in the report. Could/should I kick him out or is it too late

Appreciate any advice.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Personally none of the above would faze me that much. If you don't like the guy, you can always not renew the lease when it comes up.

I'm not even sure how you would kick him out otherwise?

3. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

If you kick him out he might shoot you.

mini2, DoubleD, JenW and 1 other person like this.
  4. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    By the looks of it you are self managing?
    If not, then just stop being involved and let the pm deal with all this!

If you are self managing, i guess you'll have to wait and see Monday if he pays you.

Oscara and bob shovel like this.
  5. Chris Russell

Chris Russell Member

Correct I am self managing

6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

You have no reasonable grounds to kick him out.
    No damage to property and neighbour gossip of drugs and gangs is nothing really to go by.
    Keep an eye out, but unless something tangible has occurred, there is no course of action to take.

7. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

Yea put PM to work.

If the guy is dodgy I bet the PM does nothing lol

legallyblonde likes this.
  8. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

If he pays on time
    If the property is well kept
    And there is no drub lab inside.. Then I will just keep eye and let him be. I think you might need a PM though, otherwise you might not sleep peacefully at night

DoubleD and thatbum like this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

This fella's got loser written all over him.

If he doesn't pay on Monday I'd be ringing all his referees and telling them what a big ...t he is.

Seriously though I've been a situation where I've had a bikie living in my IP. Stripping cars (probably stolen), ratchet and socket thrown through fibro garage wall, three dogs in the yard, wild parties, blues, domestics.

Slow payer of rent. "Come and look in my fridge I can't even afford food" would be one of his excuses.

To get rid of him I went to an agent, got them to look after the rent, and after four weeks I put the property on the market for sale.

He quickly moved out and he told the neighbour what a big .... I was. After he moved out I put the property back for rent and never sold.

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I have a suspected bikie in my ip, i don't want a bikie but has been paying on time etc and it's just an alternative career path that i probably don't agree with but seems to be going ok so far. He may just be a low ranking nob but the rival gang dude next door was a pita with noise but never had any turf wars go down.

Get advice from the cops and alert them to potential gang etc, they may have advice or info or even interested in him

11. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

@Xenia is right...you have nothing concrete on him.
    @EN710 is also right. This smells wrong...outsource the problem (and i suspect future problems with this guy) to a PM given that the lease just started. Let the PM deal with it.

12. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Datto, did you get to keep the rachet and socket?

Luke T likes this.
  13. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Chris, why don't you give him an extra alarm sensor as well as the CCTV gear that you were going to install anyway, if you are in the trade?

As long as he always pays his rent on time, then maybe, assuming you have some other properties, if and when you have some rental arrears issues with other tenants, he might be able to assist you with some helpful advice.

You might also consider, given the nature of your post, that your insurance premiums are paid on time...

14. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Kicking out a tenant is hard, and unless you have a load of free time I would get a PM on this asap. If he pays, great, but if he doesn't it can be really stressful even if you're not involved with the court process, and time consuming if you are. If he's involved in gangs/bikies, you might have different issues on the horizon even if he does pay up.

I was so glad I had a PM when I had dodgy tenants, it made a stressful situation a lot more tolerable. And make sure you have good insurance!

Colin Rice and HUGH72 like this.
  15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

No. Actually the neighbour told me the bikie tenant was stripping a car in the garage one day and in his frustration he yelled and threw the ratchet straight through the wall.

I was going to face up to the bikie tenant and just stare him down but I decided to just cut my losses.

He did leave behind a rather large homemade timber dog house which I ripped apart with a chainsaw in a about 10 seconds flat. Take that you Joker! lol

Colin Rice and Ted Varrick like this.
  16. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Can not understand why anyone involved in drugs and/or gangs would want to draw attention to their lair.

The whole idea is never to draw attention - particularly police attention - to the property.

The Y-man

Pumpkin likes this.
  17. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

These are the lower level drop kicks trying to get in. The quiet ones are the serious ones!

Did a job on a particular house and the guy wanted a security roller shutter (heavy duty shop front type) in front of his roller door on his stand alone brick garage as he had "loud parties" in there. We weren't allowed to have the existing roller door open while we did the job and he got his electrician to wire it up

Luke T and datto like this.
  18. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Get your landlord insurance policy NOW before he is late with paying rent.
    Put in the CCTV and sensor lights.
    Is it Balga or somewhere like that?
    During a breakin a small child is usually sent through the toilet window (never has security screens) or up through the awning windows.
    If it is Balga or GirraDoolaRoo then everyone should tell their neighbours they are a bikie so that everyone is scared to rob them in fear of payback
    In Westminster we've had a number of breakins and yes ended up doing security screens on front doors and sliding doors.

19. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Many are not overly endowed with grey matter....hence being involved in these sorts of things to start with.

Colin Rice likes this.
  20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Can we make this a sticky?