Tenants who have pets when theyre not supposed to?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by TMNT, 30th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

maybe a question to PMs

most landlords say no to pets, however I always say to myself, if they really wanted a pet theyd just have it and remove it when there is an inspection.

A question to PMs, do you think many or what proportion of your tenants do you think say they have no pets but actually do and hide them on inspections.

RM1827 likes this.
  2. fullylucky

fullylucky Well-Known Member

Best to just ask, "how many pets do you have?" at the start this makes it sound like you are some what accepting of pets. then they tell you the truth. then you make a choice if you want the tenant or not.

it's hard to lie against that kind of question.

Phase2 and TMNT like this.
  3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

ive accepted tenants with pets when I have no other applications and im not in a position to choose,
    everytime i get told that the pet stays outside, however I know for a fact that the pet comes inside.

nothing much I can do

4. 8650

8650 Well-Known Member

Those tenants always get caught out. Leaving the pet food on the bench, bowl on the floor, cat scratcher in the lounge room. They are always caught out and breached for it.

They think they are being sneaky but we know all the tricks in the trade.

5. fullylucky

fullylucky Well-Known Member

well being a landlord it sucks being lied to... if you don't want pets in your house or property you should be able to make this choice but often that freedom gets taken away.

also you feel tricked or deceived. it's a really sucky feeling.

you wish you could say to the tenant if you want a pet, save up and buy your own place or rent another place that accepts pets but that would be considered too cruel by society.

even if you catch them out later on what can you do? evict them? just more work for you looking for a new tenant. unless somehow you get into a fight with them and keep their bond?

the silver lining is once settled sometimes pet owners can't find other places so they rent longer at your place even if the rent is higher than the market rate.

it would be good if there's a database keep track of tenants that lie like this. It would be an incentive (fear of punishment) to keeping them honest.

Last edited: 30th Mar, 2017
  6. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Our tenant declared she had two dogs (they are a small breed) and I was happy. She pays her rent a week early every month and keeps the house immaculately because she needs a home for her girls.

IME folk who genuinely look after their pets will generally train them not to mess up the house. We holiday in a "pet friendly" caravan park and the pets are generally better behaved than children!!

Phase2 likes this.
  7. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I'd prefer a well behaved pet to a toddler any day of the week. So my first question is always how many kids and how old?

I feel a bit sorry for pet owners having been made to feel like a criminal or serial killer at many a camp site/motel when I ask if they accept pets. Seriously the looks you get, and inference like you're going to smuggle your pet into bed and cause untold devastation. Totally over it so I can imagine what it must feel like trying to rent a place and worrying you'll have to choose between your pet and somewhere to live.

Last edited: 31st Mar, 2017
    WattleIdo, RM1827 and EN710 like this.
  8. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Their gunna have pets and whatever else whether you know or mind. Plus all the other stuff like spilling food/drink etc, not their carpet etc to care about.

All you can do is make the place as durable to most scenarios as possible, no carpet, no tint paint, solid doors etc.

4weeks bond covers bugger all

WattleIdo likes this.
  9. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Insurance covers the rest, ;)

WestOz likes this.
  10. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Insurance Is certainly a backup/safeguard for med/high issues, but depends on situation, how much additional time/hold-up, cost frustration for claim, justifiable, whether it's worth having on record making you appear a higher risk client etc

11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

in all honesty, what do you do?

if they say "oops I left the bowl inside by accident"

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Jun, 2018
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I think a blanket "no pets rule"is silly really. There are some pets that are quiet, make no mess and lead to happier tenants. You dont want a crazy cat lady with 30 cats or a breeder of show great danes but someone with a small companion dog / cat should pose no issue and if they know they are responsible for any mess its more honest. Same with kids - How many, how many cars, etc....Three kids can mean five cars and a neighbour problem and parking on lawn etc.

I personally wish a higher bond could be taken for pets but its not legal.

Then again you can have a'holes like the renters next door to us who agreed to no pets have almost instantly FILLED the garage with cages and were breeding like a chook farm. It was noisy and stunk...And we just called our former neighbours and said do you know they.......Council and RSPCA ended their tenancy !

Lil Skater, RM1827, thatbum and 2 others like this.
  13. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Coming up with bond can be tough for some.
    Be good if we could charge an extra % each week that goes into a trust account (or sim) that covers additional repairs etc over the basic bond.
    If they hand back the place in good nic they get all the funds back.

14. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

As long as they pet is appropriate to the property, I'm delighted when my tenants have pets. They're more likely to stay, they tend to take care of the property and they'll pay a premium rent.

Spoony and RM1827 like this.
  15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I have a dog and when I looked for places it's either pets allowed inside or it's not chosen at all. While it's not ideal that's what I prefer in my property, so it's all in the tenants selection. PM prefer them outside though

16. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Paul, This might have helped:-

Search By - Everyday Gourmet with Justine Schofield

17. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

I feel sorry too, for the neighbours, vis a vis

This sign was put up at the entrance to my friends apartment building, management are enforcing a strict NO ALPACA policy. • r/sydney

18. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

It's easier to just make everyone happy including the PM who really doesn't give a flying fig whether you've got pets inside or not just as long as the paraphenalia is outside when they take their photos.
    My landlord has accepted 2 dogs and 2 cats but there are no fences so um .....
    The very rare ad that says SORRY NO PETS just gets ignored by 90%. What kind of person has no pets? They deserve each other.

EN710 likes this.
  19. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

I would love to accept pets, but my LL insurance doesn't cover it!!!

20. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

? Switch to another insurance Co