QLD Tenants want to do repairs

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Coen, 28th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Usually I don't mind handy tenants doing small repairs (flymesh, doorstops, hinges, etc.) but your example of the toilet repair is definitely over the top- $850 for a new toilet!?!?!?! No wonder you're not a fan :eek:

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I prefer to have lawn maintenace provided to tenants that way I know its done well and if anything needs attention it happens. eg fertiliser, weeds, mulch etc

Hands up those who changed tenants to find a aweful yard that has dead grass where they parked on grass or just let it go. Wheel ruts on nature stip and weeds and grass in gardens. I dont care if they prefer to do it themself. Take it or leave it. I pay. They pay extra in rent. I also have eyes on the property each fortnight.

gman65 and Cousinit like this.
  3. kitdoctor

kitdoctor Well-Known Member

@skater do you know the legal position, specifically with regard to painting where the painting is to repair damage caused by a tenant? My tenant installed a temporary gate at the top of a staircase. It's one of those ones where the mounts wind outwards and place pressure on the walls. The walls have been dented and the paint torn off the walls. The entire inside of the house was repainted 6 months before. My QLD PM says a tenant can't be forced to use a professional/licenced painter and can do it themselves.

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Sorry, I've no idea, but I've always told my PMs when a tenant has wanted to do something theirself that it needs to be done by a qualified tradesperson. On that note, I'm sure some of them haven't been, but when it comes vacate time, I claim the poorly repaired items on the bond.

craigc and Futurerent like this.
  5. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Surely it come down to how the job is done. If it's not done properly they have to pay to rectify it at the end of the lease. Just compare the entry photos with the outgoing ones.

skater likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Lets have tenants perform building work, plumbing repairs and electrical work...Or do we rely on licensed trades ? Painters are also licensed skilled trades people. If they want to break stuff they have to expect to pay for it to be repairs to a standard. Imagine if this system worked for car accidents ? I will fix your car on the weekend for you !!

7. kitdoctor

The existence of the damage, how it was caused and who caused it is not in dispute or the issue. The tenant has also acknowledged they accept responsibility for rectifying the damage. The issue is whether tenants are permitted in some circumstances by tenancy law to undertake repairs themselves to rectify damage they have caused and that owners can't always insist that repairs are carried out by a contractor that is licensed/registered to operate in the relevant state/territory and/or using suitably qualified persons who may have to possess an occupational licence or special skill.

Painters and decorators do not require an occupational licence like an electrician or plumber does. They are only required to be licensed/registered to operate in a state/territory if they perform works over a certain value (e.g. $3300 in QLD for each job) that varies from state-to-state. So, if the repairs are of a type that don't require an occupational licence and don't exceed the threshold value, then it would seem a tenant can insist they undertake them.

8. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

They didn't say it was in dispute, or that it was the issue.

They said the issue was the reasonableness of the quality of the repair. And I would agree, as the legal issue.

Wasn't that your question?

9. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Why did you quote what I said? It was stated that the tenant accepted responsibility.

I said it comes down to whether the job is done correctly.
    Why are you just reiterating what I said in a more drawn out way?

10. Properwin

Properwin Well-Known Member

I had a tenant who, without permission or telling my PM, put up a new timber side fence with a gate, and added timber decking to the alfresco area (previously concrete and then grass). Was a surprise at the next inspection. Amazingly, he did a great job even though he was a cop by trade, and actually improved the property.

craigc likes this.
  11. kitdoctor

The original question was, can a landlord insist that a tenant use a professional painter to undertake the repairs as originally described which are necessary to rectify the accidental damage they caused (and have accepted responsibility for). My PM says no. The repairs have not yet been performed.

In my posts I've touched on licensing/registration. It's quite a complicated set of arrangements that exist in each state.

Last edited: 24th Mar, 2022
  12. kitdoctor

In general I agree with you. I don't think it's right

In QLD a person can claim to be a painter and provided they do not perform work valued at more than $3300 they do not need a trade contractor's licence for which they would need a recognised qualification. Same for a handyman. They do not need a licence or recognised qualification provided they don't perform work valued at more than $3300. However, a plumber must hold a contractor's licence for which they would need a recognised qualification (aka occupational licence) regardless of the value of work they do. For electricians it's slightly more complicated so I won't explain. There are lots of exceptions to licensing, the obvious one being the rights afforded to owners of property that allow them to perform work on their own property. Usually a dollar threshold applies e.g. $11000 in QLD.

13. kitdoctor

Hi not trying to upset you.

In my first post I did not say the tenant accepted responsibility. I said they caused it.

Travelbug likes this.
  14. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

If the tenant wants to leave early it will cost, a decent break fee, more than the following.

I had a tenant that found what he called a dream job, starting about a month before the lease ended, in another town. I was on very good terms with the tenant, and before he knew he had the job I said that we would find an equitable solution to breaking the lease. We did this - he paid pro rata up front fees. The PM charged me (say) $600 for leasing, $50 a month, and this is what he paid me and a bit more for my extra work. I look after my tenants, even if they are leaving. nearly always they reciprocate.

I will not let any tenant do repairs. At my PPOR, Like Clean cookie I do my own painting, slowly, taking my time, for just the cost of paint. The prep work is significant.

Clean Cookie likes this.
  15. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

lol....no.

Hard to get handymen to do jobs properly.

Have no issue with lic sparks or plumber doing emergency works

16. Futurerent

Futurerent Member

Definitely stick with a professional, might be more expensive to fix a tenant's "work". Remind the tenant of their responsibilities outlined in the agreement.