Tenants want to chop dead tree branches by themselves

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by PropertyInsight, 24th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PropertyInsight

PropertyInsight Well-Known Member

They said that they cannot move trampoline and they want to reschedule the date which frustrated my tradies. Their couple tradies refused to do the job because tenants clousy talked to the tradies while they went to give quotes.

I heard feedback from at least two tradies whom I hired but they quit at the last minutes.

2. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Make sure your tradie takes photos of this trampoline before and after!

PropertyInsight likes this.
  3. PropertyInsight

They are too clousy and bossy. PM is not enough experience to handle this. At the beginning, PM advised me to let tenants do this without considering if tenants may have accident while doing the job. I will terminate PM on this Monday,effective in 7 days.

4. PropertyInsight

Good point

5. PropertyInsight

I did not see trampoline when I inspected the IP last Wednesday. They might set up it to stop our job.

6. GX1

GX1 Member

I have known arborists to do these sorts of jobs for their landlords, but they have done it at a discount on the best quote - especially when it is credited to their rent.

If you have no financial incentive to get them to do the job, I would be opting to go with your own qualified arborist.

This tenant sounds difficult :( moving a trampoline shouldn’t be such a hassle, especially if they are concerned about damage to the trampoline. Does the property have a particularly small yard? Does the trampoline need to be dismantled or could it just be rolled onto it’s side?

Surely your property manager could advise you what your state’s laws say, and advise how best to proceed... have you already been in touch with your PM?

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

That's a good start ,employ a new PM as most are very good at their job once you sort out all the dog whistling ..

8. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Don't respond to this at all it is just noise (and utter rubbish). Not even close to how it works anyway.

- Luke

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  9. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Not to mention the bad maths :confused:

VB King and mikey7 like this.
  10. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

From the sounds of things, none of this work seems like it's actually required. Do nothing, if they stop paying rent breach them and/or evict them if unremedied. If they feel strongly and think they have a case to claim compensation, let them take you to xCAT. You said you have a PM, why are you dealing with this problem? If your PM doesn't know how to "handle it", perhaps look for one with a bit more clout..

11. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I agree. I'm reading as though the tenants need money, and are trying to find work at the OP's expense.

Archaon, wylie and Michael Mitchell like this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I hate it when I get 'bad mathed' by a tenant. :rolleyes:

13. PropertyInsight

Actually, bad math is from myself. They just asked for 6 week rent.

Tenants asked the tree lopper to come at 7.30AM today. This morning, the tree lopper turn up at 8.30 am. Though tenant was at home, they refused letting the tree lopper to do the job with the reason that they could wait for the the all day long. The tree lopper has already advised tenants that it would take 3 hours to complete the job and he was just 1 hour late.

The tree lopper was very upset as it wasted his time. He did not want to take this job any more. He told that the tenants were very bossy.

This is not the only tradie who was upset because of tenants.

I hold on everything and waiting for new PM on board. Existing PM does not keep communicating with me at the moment; and I do not want to deal directly with tenants any more. Stop response to their sms.

Is there any advice?

14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Use the block feature on your phone

wylie and Michael Mitchell like this.
  15. PropertyInsight

They texted me over the weekend and PM did not worked on weekend.

Last Thursday, I asked PM to notify the tenants about entry on Monday but tenants told me PM did not. It seems that PM stop working and avoid handling the problems.

16. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    Time for a new PM?

17. Paul@PAS

Its illegal to lop a tree at 7:30am any day of the week. Noise laws prevent use of chain saws and mulchers. Imagine if their neighbour started to cut a tree down at 7:30am ??

If the tree is in the front yard who needs permission ?

18. Paul@PAS

And new tenants.

I would have the new PM send tenants a letter cautioning that their repeated refusal to allow access (indicate dates) and move their trampoline from the area of danger means you wont be liable for any damage to their trampoline or their property until they provide access and move their own trampoline. Sent by reg post with receipt of delivery.

These A holes will make some BS claim that the tree damaged their trampoline...its coming.

19. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

I would imagine most local city council by laws permit noise from 7am-7pm without permit during Mon-Fri.

If the Lessor/Agent issued an entry notice for the contractor, and the Tenants have not allowed access, then contractor should be instructed to call Police to assist with entry (which is lawful under the Act). I had a case where eviction-in-progress Tenants wouldn't allow an electrician in, simply letting them know that Police would be called quickly changed that situation..

Joynz likes this.
  20. PropertyInsight

Tradie was so upset and he left any way. Tenants harassed the tradie. Can we the following reason to lodge an order with QCAT? I am sick with tenants enought.

upload_2019-2-25_10-51-17.png

mikey7 and Michael Mitchell like this.