Tenants Using Drugs

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Tim86, 29th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Learning opportunity...?

What's the lesson exactly?

Sometimes tenants do stupid things and end up in hospital.

Not too sure if I can do much about people doing stupid things.

If he agrees not to do stupid things any more I'll let him stay on. One incident in 1.5 years from this tenant who always pays his rent on time... I don't think that warrants kicking him out.

And why would I stop self managing? What could a realestate agent have done that I couldn't do?

2. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

No not zoned multi tenancy. Which is why I just have the one tenancy agreement. I reckon the banks would boot me out the door if they saw a bunch of individual short term tenancy agreements for the property.

Now one thing I don't get, which RPI posted about on somersoft just before it was shut down. Was that in a low density residential zone the tenants have to be on the one tenancy agreement, and also they have to come together of their "own volition". So technically a landlord can't organise a bunch of people to move in.

That house originally had 5 mates move in together when I first rented it out. All of their "own volition". But then after 3 years the last original housemate has left. I've been replacing them as each one moves out.

The landlord has to approve each new tenant, so I meet them and show them through and give them an application form and then approve them.

At what point does this no longer become a house where tenants came together of their own volition?

Now that the last original housemate is gone...is it now no longer classified as a group of tenants who have come together of their own volition?

Sometimes the tenants even put the ads up themselves for their replacements, but I always meet the prospective tenants and show them through because I have to do the final approval.

So I'm pretty much organising these new tenants because I'm the one that does the approvals (because that's what landlords do).

Anyway it makes me a bit confused.

3. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

'What's the lesson exactly?'

As I see it Tim, the lesson is that in any shared house you don't tolerate drugs. Would you prefer to be part of the problem, or part of the solution? You have a duty of care towards your tenants. The % of people who have an 'episode' and continue taking drugs and having another episode is really, really high.
    Suggest you speak to a social worker who can give you some more background information on drug psychosis. It isn't a pretty life, and the amount of colateral damage that happens may not be the type of risk you are prepared to take, for the sake of your family, and the people who live with your tenant.
    There endeth the lesson!
    I do hope this helps

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2015
    Gypsyblood and M & S like this.
  4. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

See I've found that it's just the luck of the draw with some tenants. Some you would swear they are going to be drop kicks, and they end up being awesome tenants. Some you think are going to be awesome tenants and they end up being drop kicks.

Sometimes the cheapest houses end up being the least drama houses. Take for example this house that I've just had an issue with. First problem in probably 2 years at that house. Average rent is $140 pw.

Then have a look at my other house where the average rent is $155 pw. The tenants were at each others throats and hated each other so they all broke their lease agreements and moved out before even 6 months was up...

Luck of the draw.

5. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

If the tenants have an issue with the tenant when he returns, I'll kick him out. But I'm not going to boot him for one mental break down in 1.5 years.

As for the other tenants, a joint once or twice a week... I really couldn't care less. A joint in my books is the same as having 3 or 4 beers.

As for speaking to a social worker... probably not needed. I did my bach of psychological science and often work with young people that have drug problems. Although I did smoke weed during my 2nd year... so maybe I missed some of the stuff on drug psychosis :)

One of my current clients did weed for years and is now around 6 months clean and working on getting a job. Another one of my clients used to do ICE and quit herself a long time ago and is now working in an ongoing way with me to support her to leave a domestic violence relationship.

People can get their lives together. I don't believe in throwing someone out for one break down if they are getting help, the other tenants are fine with living with them, and if they no longer have any more break downs then I don't see the problem.

Also when the guy was having his episode he wasn't getting violent. The housemates told me he was just really annoying. Staying up all night apparently "singing letters"...

It's good to give people a chance.

6. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

It becomes not a group of tenants coming together of their own volition as soon as you get involved in any way other than approving. e.g. If you advertise or find any people.

If the rent is $500 and there are 5 people living there, when one moves out, they should just pay $125 per week each (instead of $100 per week each) until they find a replacement tenant for you to approve.

If you accept less rent when one moves out, or if you advertise for a replacement housemate (rather than the tenants), you're demonstrating that it is, on its true construction, a multi-tenancy.

wylie likes this.
  7. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

@Tim86 you have a good heart. Where else would these people go? Good on you for your compassion.

8. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Ahhh right. Thanks for clarifying.

9. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

If there is a god she will look on you approvingly when you turn up at the door at your death (and probably hand you a loaded bong).

It's a very pragmatic, rather than dramatic approach you've taken.

Where's that Canadian dude? I think she must have got lost in the upgrade.

Gypsyblood and Tim86 like this.
  10. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I'll admit I had to look up the definition of "pragmatic" :) But that's exactly what I am. And exactly what you have to be when dealing with people. People are messy, complicated creatures, in messy & complicated situations.

Gypsyblood and acorn123 like this.
  11. acorn123

acorn123 Well-Known Member

I won't sleep well if I have a sharehouse like this. I will clean up the house ASAP.........
    What you are doing is a big contribution to the society..... by looking after these ....
    Not many are willing or able to do so. You are a good man!

Gypsyblood likes this.
  12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

haha, sounds like the script of a stand up comedy, hilarious......sorry I have no solution to offer ;)

13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Ouch! I have had tenants that take drugs too. As far as I'm concerned, it's a fact of life. Interestingly, my worst tenant did not take drugs and one of my best tenants ever smoked dope regularly. It wasn't too much work to get rid of the smell after he left.

14. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I would MUCH rather my tenants chain smoking weed than drinking regularly to be honest.

15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

That's a point. My worst tenant was the heaviest drinker. Not sure about drugs with that one but none to my knowledge.

16. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

None apart from alcohol, you mean ;)

Yeah, my life experience has been that people into non addictive drugs like cannabis, psychedelics etc behave orders of magnitude better than alcoholics.

17. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Poor bugger is still in hospital after his psychotic episode and has only seen minor improvement.

Talked to his parents about covering rent. Doing reduced rent until the end of the month to hold the room for him. And then they will decide whether or not he is well enough to stay on.

Fingers crossed the guy recovers. Must be hell for the guys parents to see him in this state.

Dont do drugs peoples....

Gypsyblood and TheLake like this.
  18. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Dont do drugs peoples....

The person has been in hospital for a little while now, and going back to the environment where he was taking drugs I am sure will be too much for him. When he gets out of hospital, he will probably need treatment and a stable home life for months afterwards. He is very Lucky his family care about him! His family will have enough expenses Let him go ,and rent your room!

19. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I offered to let him go and offered to find a replacement. But the parents chose to keep the room for now, so I offered to hold it at reduced rent.

TheLake likes this.