Tenants Using Drugs

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Tim86, 29th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

If you really wanted to use the Police to get rid of him, there was your chance .
    He was sexually harassing the 50yo woman if she made a statement to you ,you could evict hm for that im sure.

2. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Dear Tim,
    I am very sorry and I am not a Doctor , but it sounds like psychosis brought on by drugs. The guy needs professional help, if he hasn't 'come down' after 5 days.
    Call the police and ask them for help. He needs to be somewhere where he can't hurt people, or himself. Your other tenants call all 'walk' if they don't feel safe too. Please Dont leave it any longer.

Gypsyblood and Holly like this.
  3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

There is more going on, frankly, the others may be hanging him out to dry, get rid of the lot, your lucky you can let the cops in and sort the lot of them out. Tell them all, if all drug taking has not stopped in a few days that is all your left with.

Are you waiting for something much more dramatic ?

Up to you, but I would not waste time on a forum, I would already be working on removing the problems (note, it is not singular) .

M & S, Kael and 158 like this.
  4. Darlinghurst Boy

I do feel for you if your that desperate to pay your mortgage that you must take these kind of people in your house.

I would hate to be in there at night with these people who seem to have drug and social problems walking around.

5. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

You do live in Darlinghurst, right?

OP, it's a bad situation, but I think some distance might be needed - you don't need to get involved in your tenants personal drama. If they are causing damage to the property get rid of. Other than that, there mistakes, their lives, their responsibility. The police won't come out because they are smoking a bit of weed. If the other housemate is causing issues at a personal level with other housemates, that is for them to sort out.

And maybe put a no smoking inside clause in the next lease.

Perp likes this.
  6. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Do some people on here live under a rock? All this butthurt over some tenants smoking weed? Tell them not to smoke inside the house.

With the meth head if he plays up again throw him out.

Nothing overly complicated here.

Btw if you're renting out a share house to young kids and expecting no one to be smoking weed I'd suggest moving to Amish country

7. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

"Large room to rent in share house. You will be sharing the house with 3 occasional pot smokers and a meth head. We are currently looking for a tenant with a coke, or smack addiction to round things out. No smoking in the house. If you're dealing, please do it on the kerb. "

That ad will get you a tenant faster than road runner on crack.

Putting aside moral and legal issues; tenants smoking pot a few days a week, or even just a joint every night is not much different to a social drinker. It won't interfere with their ability to work and pay rent. A tenant who uses ice once a month at the weekend will probably still be able to work and pay rent.

A tenant who smokes bongs all day, or does a large amount of ice will not be able to pay rent. Unless they're dealing. Are the tenants paying rent?

What would Walter White do?

8. Darlinghurst Boy

Yes and i can assure you Darlinghurst is far safer than Newcastle City at night.
    I drove taxis in Newcastle and no i wouldnt be walking around there at night.
    I can walk freely around Darlo at night without any hesitation.

9. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

I think you are right. The bloke got picked up last night driving by the police and is now in the logan psych ward.

Apparently his family came past and picked some of his stuff up today.

Glad his family knows and he is in hospital.

Gypsyblood likes this.
  10. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Sit down with them, pass the bong around and discuszzzzzZZZzzzzZZZ

11. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Not to mention they're all on one lease, so you have to agree to be jointly and severally liable for the pot smokers' and meth head's debts regarding the use of the rental property.

Sounds like Nirvana! ;)

12. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

It's not really all that bad :)

We are pretty good to our tenants. Keeping their rent the same for years and years, and even dropping their rent. Upgrading their internet to cable unlimited rather than slow adsl 2 for free, giving them Netflix for free, installing fetch tv for free. Doing all their lawn maintenance. Fixing things up when needed. Etc...

This situation with the guy going a bit crazy is a first in 4 years. And it resulted in hospitalisation, so obviously the guy was in a pretty bad way.

Perp likes this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm curious how many rent there (without reading the posts again) and what the rent is?

14. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

5 people for 5 rooms. Bills are about $25 pw per person. Thats included in the rent I charge. Between 135 to 150 per room I charge. But that includes their power water internet netflix fetch tv and yard maintenance.

Pretty affordable accommodation option for people.

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That is on the cheap end of the scale, especially with power, water, internet, netflix, get and yard included. What suburb is this? Is this cheap for the suburb compared to similar accommodation?

16. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Salisbury QLD. Yeah it's on the cheaper end. But right now I'm more interested in low vacancy rates than max amount of rent. Some people chase $200 pw for a room. Craziness. Lots of competition in the share accommodation market right now too. So I have to put a low price to stand out and actually get someone to take the room.

It's my least renovated house too. Eventually that house will have en-suites with spa baths for each room and walk in robes etc... and I'll be able to charge a fair chunk more, but right now it's pretty basic.

17. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I recently helped my brother look for share accommodation (and have done a few times) there seemed to be heaps available and no competition on the BNE south side.

18. M & S

M & S Member

Hi Tim,

Firstly, I'm glad that the tenant in question is getting the help he needs.

Have you thought about what you are going to do when he gets out of hospital? Will you be taking him back?

I hope you'll take this as a learning opportunity. Things could have gotten much worse, very quickly!

Will you still self manage?

Might be worth having a serious think about what to do whilst he is in hospital. He won't be there forever!

All the best,
    M & S

19. headsonbeds

headsonbeds Well-Known Member

I own several registered boarding houses in Bris so I've heard it all before. The RTA also has rooming agreements R18s that may be available for your use, I'm not sure on the legal side of who can use them. This form of rental contract offers you flexibility through the use of house rules ie no one is to be intoxicated, etc. These rules can then be enforced as need be and the eviction process is much simpler if you follow the process as laid out.
    I've found the lower your price the lower some of your tenants become and with it the headache levels rise. $135 to $150 is the very low end of the scale but not sure on Salisbury. Just remember that most of these renters qualify for roughly $125 of rent assistance per fortnight so you aren't costing them much.
    Good luck

Perp likes this.
  20. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Pretty sure you can only use them when zoned for multi-tenancy, and I think @Tim86 isn't so zoned.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.