Tenants threatening extortion, should i pay?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Momentum, 3rd May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I ordered the a/c from appliancesonline with the understanding they would also install it but they just left it there.. it took 6 weeks to find someone to install it because no-one wanted the job as the unit is on the 3rd level and would need scissor lifts to mount it on the external wall.. I contacted 3-4 installers and they all said no until I finally found a guy recently did it for $1,500+900 for the unit.

2. Momentum

Best advice. In future I won't be doing any improvements to a property while it's tenanted.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  3. Momentum

As it turned out, the rent rise was done about the same time the a/c was installed but the ceiling fans were done about 2 months ago.

4. Momentum

I'm still not sure on what grounds they've got to take me to consumer affairs? I don't see anything in Marg's reply saying they have every right to take me to consumer affairs

5. Momentum

They charge me 5.5% because that's the going rate in Melbourne if you've got several properties with one agency. When I first went with them they were managing 7 places but now only manage 2 as 2 were sold and the others are now self managed.

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Not going to recommend anything on the current situation, but for future consider the following:

1. Get a new PM
    2. Get stuff done BEFORE the tenant moves in.
    3. If you're going to organise stuff to be done, ORGANISE it. 6 weeks to find an A/C installer while the unit sat there IN the apartment if not acceptable. Not sure how much money you think you saved buying the unit and getting it installed separately, but I have the installer supply and fit. Saves me hassle in the long term.

wylie, Marg4000 and Momentum like this.
  7. neK

neK Well-Known Member

My PM charges me around that figure. Best PM I've had and I'm still with them after 8 years. Wherever he decides to go, I'll follow.

8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Be sure to make regular rent increases with these tenants.

Did they come from the Druitt by any chance? What's their name I probably know them.

Momentum likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Davo and Peaches but they don't have surnames but their photos do have a number on them. :rolleyes:
    upload_2017-5-11_23-1-5.png upload_2017-5-11_23-6-36.png

datto likes this.
  10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I did not say they were justified. Or not.
    I simply said that, like anyone else, they have the legal right to lodge a complaint and receive a judgment.
    Marg

Momentum and Perthguy like this.
  11. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Peaches looks good for a 19 09 birth date....be careful of anyone with a tipped hat in a mug shot.

12. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

What I mean is the tenant is legally entitled to lodge a complaint. That doesn't mean you have done anything wrong. Whether or not the complaint has merit is a different matter. I have taken a tenant to the tribunal and I have been taken to the tribunal by a tenant. In both cases neither of us get everything we wanted. It was always a compromise between the 2 sides.

Momentum and Marg4000 like this.
  13. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

It's probably Datto "Triple S" 180B and his brother Datto "Stanza" 200B.

You know those guys were never going to be model citizens... (unlike your good entrepreneurial self...)

datto likes this.
  14. Brad Stephen

Brad Stephen New Member

If the rent increase happened when the air-conditioner arrived at the property and sat for 6 weeks, easiest thing would have been to offer them the 6 weeks (6 x 15 = $90) and maybe throw in a $100/$120 Woolworths voucher (one that is able to be used at BWS, Dan Murphys and Woolies etc) or something to apologise for the inconvenience as soon as it happened. You probably had a situation where the tenants were calling the PM constantly and they were deflecting by saying that the landlord was still arranging installation and putting sole blame on them. They should have had a list of tradespeople ready to help you too. They should've been actively trying to find an electrician/aircon company to help you out asap.

Momentum and SeafordSunshine like this.
  15. Momentum

This will be the outcome of all this:

1. I'm not going to give this tenant any money for improving his home. He's just a leach, a moocher, pariah and cockroach who is taking advantage of a situation which the PM should have been managing more actively by looking for an a/c installer or removing the one which was delievered. I made 4 calls and 3 emails to Appliancesonline.com.au telling them to pick up their unit because I don't want it if they can't install it. I was o'seas during this time. When I came to Oz and first visited the property I removed the unit and took it to the PM's office and told her to tell them if they don't pick it up by Friday then it will be on the curb.

2. The next lease renewal tenants will be given a $60pw increase.

3. I've given 30 days notice to the PM that I'm terminating our management agreement. It's a shame because I've been with them for 22 years but all the good staff left in the past 12-18 months and the new ones are useless, deceptive, conniving and untrustworthy. I'm also an idiot for giving each of the 2 PM's a $100 Village cinemas voucher for Christmas.

16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The Appliances Online website is pretty clear that their standard installation cost is for single storey houses and that anything else has to be organised separately with them.

17. Momentum

Yes it's odd why they accepted the sale when I clearly told them the outdoor unit needs to be mounted on the 3rd floor.