Tenants requesting dishwasher

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Ems, 16th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ems

Ems Well-Known Member

Our tenants lease is up in February and we have requested a 12 month lease at the same rent. The tenants have said they will sign again but only if a dishwasher is fitted. We are interstate so would require plumber etc to fit so it won't be cheap. Its for a 2 bed unit in Stafford.

What would you do in my situation?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is there a dishwasher space in the kitchen or will a cupboard need to be removed to fit the dishwasher?

What else will this affect if you need to remove a cupboard?

Is there power for the dishwasher? Is that easily installed?

What is the vacancy rate in the area - how many other properties are up for lease at present? Will it be easier/cheaper to lose a week's rent than to install a dishwasher?

3. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

Stafford is near me, slight over supply of units, rents on the bit lower than usual to fill unless you have a top tier property in that bracket. If the tenants are good and worth keeping, if it were me I'd install the dishwasher - it is a benefit to the property going forward anyway. The dishwasher would cost around $450, add another $200 or so to procure, install, commission, test etc, and then another $150 if you need a sparky to install a GPO for it to plug into if there is no current provision.

Stoffo, TMNT, Rugrat and 8 others like this.
  4. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Cheaper to install a dishwasher than find new tenants

Navjit, Team Tenant, TMNT and 6 others like this.
  5. The Gambler

The Gambler Well-Known Member

All good points raised so far.

Here's a couple of other things to think about...

1. do it and raise the rent 2 bucks a week. Try and get something out of it.
    2. Check re.com.au and see what is for rent in your area at your rental price. Is it comparable? Do other places have dishwashers?

6. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

Although the request sounds easy, it will be anything but simple. You'll have to measure to see if a dishwasher would fit. You'll have to remove a perfectly good lower cupboard door x2. The cupboards would have to be besides the existing sink for both the water supply and waste. You'll have to install a GPO for power. Optional, but if you're OCD, you'll need to "trim" the dishwasher so it looks neat in it's new location. Finally, you'll have to deal with the constant "the dishwasher is showing error code 99", so you'll send out a technician only to be told that the tenants clogged the pipes as they don't semi-clean the plates before loading the washer.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  7. TheRayTracer

TheRayTracer Well-Known Member

I would disagree with this.

8. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I just swapped tenants. Lost a weeks rent and nearly 2 weeks lease fee. Plus advertising.

Lease renewal $75 plus even $800 for a dishwasher and I would break even.

9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

These questions are important. If the kitchen won't easily take a dishwasher without modifications, then perhaps buy a freestanding dishwasher.

We did this for a little cottage and it sat beside the freestanding cooker, offered extra bench space. I think from memory we plumbed it through the old (original) cupboards but it is possible the tenant wheeled it closer to the sink to use it (but I don't think so). We had space for it though in the kitchen so didn't have to modify anything.

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The OP has a unit, so space would be at a premium I would have thought. Though I did have a unit years ago which had a dishwasher space.

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

A dishwasher install can be as simple as sliding it in and connecting the tap and waste to the sink drain and plug in power OR as complex as needing to rebuild a kitchen. No skills are needed if the kitchen is ready. If its a first install a holesaw may be needed. Depends on cabinets too. Some may have a inner liner and a plinth to be removed. Best ones have a big hole already. Others need costly mods. Appliancesonline.com.au will install deliver and tidy up and take the waste for approx $129 if the kitchen is ready. Freestanding ones can be a pain and bound a round etc. More a eyesore.

If you were local you can pick up an aldi machine for $399 or even less. CHECK all dimensions before purchase. If its too tall by even 5mm the lid should remove with 2 screws. This buys approx 15-25mm of space. Check install dimensions

I would find out if the kitchen has a dedicated cabinet space and services connected (usually within 1-2 cabinets of the sink). Then allow for the tenant to whinge that they will lose a cabinet.

TMNT likes this.
  12. wylie

I would think so too, but was thinking our son's unit where there is space. Only the poster knows whether a freestanding one could work. If so, it could be the cheapest way of doing it.

13. wylie

Westminster likes this.
  14. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Enoggera – Brisbane Whitegoods Factory Outlet

Get your PM to take accurate measurements and photos of where the dishwasher could go. Open the cabinet doors and take clear decent photos of what is inside the cupboards adjacent to the sink. You are looking for suitable plumbing and electricity outlet.

Does the unit have air con? If not, then later today they will be asking for AC.

15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

not really, dishwashers are fairly simply, they only require 1-2 pipe connection and 1 powerpoint,

plus they dont break down very often, also its hard to abuse a dishwasher,

as for user error, if its their fault they get charged the call out fee for the plumber

Last edited: 16th Dec, 2019
    Dan Wood and Michael Mitchell like this.
  16. Warren from Geelong

Warren from Geelong Active Member

Make them a counter-offer. They want:
    • 12 month lease
    • no rent increase
    • a dishwasher
    I would offer:
    • 12 month lease
    • no rent increase
    • cover half the cost of the supply and install of a DW
    If they accept that, you get the security of a new lease and a 50% discount on the addition of a DW to your property :)

TMNT and Michael Mitchell like this.
  17. wylie

I'd prefer to ask for $5 rent increase (very reasonable) and never have them try to take the dishwasher with them because "we paid for half of it".

But a compromise is a good idea. We often in the past added it through a tenancy, and then bumped the rent up for next tenants. We did that because if we asked for more rent in exchange, often we'd get a "no thanks" when we knew next time it was up for a new tenant, some would not be interested without a dishwasher and if they can see it, they believe it is there.

Also, many tenants may not agree to pay an extra $5 (especially if rents are similar for nearby houses with dishwasher already installed) but at lease renewal time, tenants know that rent may be increased, so it is almost expected. Most people will not move for $5 or $10 increase I've found.

TMNT likes this.
  18. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

With some of the big retailers you could negotiate installation as part of the purchse ;)
    Just get the tenant to measure the cavity to ensure the purchase will fit.
    *assuming the apartment isn't all that old it should be standard :cool: