Tenants request fixing toilet roll holder - how handle it sufficiently?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by evisional2, 2nd Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Could I suggest that you consider asking:
    When was the last complete inspection carried out?
    With photographs?
    Ask for the work to be carried out, but only if there are other matters to be managed.
    Eg any other small items need repairing?
    Send a maintenance person say every six months?
    Do do a 'repairs job lot'
    get a quote before they do any work, and make sure it was done properly before the agent pays.
    Perhaps this may work.?
    Also are the tenants paying on time, and generally looking after things?
    You need to look at definitions of an urgent repair and find out if it falls into this category
    Educate yourself, before you get burnt out!
    I hope this helps

Last edited: 6th Jun, 2017
    Archaon, wylie and teetotal like this.
  2. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Kmart sell metal freestanding ones. I'm not sure what my son used to do with them but they were forever breaking and getting replaced. Maybe you could purchase one online that included postage. I bought another from a chemist. Around $15

3. koloa

koloa New Member

hi you wouldn't happen to be my landlord would you? we request a new toliet roll about the time you started this thread. because it is RUSTY! really RUSTY! it was rusty when we moved in! its STILL NOT FIXED! even tho i keep asking! just a thought would you live with a rusty toilet roll holder? or let your family ? we have said we are happy to change it but wont do it without permission. but after living with it for two and a bit years now with my tiolet roll on the sink. im getting a bit over it! and our rent was just put up too! fare ??????? we always pay on time have never missed!

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

maybe your landlord is a ratbag.

Or another view might be.
    It was like that when you moved in.
    You didnt request it be fixed as a condition of renewing the lease.
    You could have refused the rent increase and moved if the landlord said no.
    Paying the rent on time is something you should do by contract. Think people are rewarded for paying the mortgage on time?

5. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

Absolutely hate tight arsed people who expect their rent paid but refuse to fix something that legally needs fixing. If you can't afford to fix it, you shouldn't be a landlord.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They don't need toilet rolls.

Jasmine, bunkai, Millie and 9 others like this.
  7. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

This is true. So perhaps the OP could take his roll holder around to the tenant.

8. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

This is scary.... what are the chances..

9. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Should've kept your property maintained in the first place, this is your responsibility and somewhat lies with your PM to inform you.

You'd expect tenants to let you know of the things that need to be repaired, and they have.

Keep them happy and you might have some long term tenants. Putting the rent up will just annoy them even more and they'll ask for more work to be completed...

Moral of the story, keep your IP maintained so you don't have constant issues such as this and you won't have to post on a forum about it.

10. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

I'd just like to add to this; you decided to own an interstate property, it's quite obvious you cannot fix small issues or even larger ones by yourself. You'll be paying for someone to do it for you... Surely you took that into consideration..

Just because it's "easy" doesn't mean the tenant has to do it. Just because you're interstate doesn't mean the tenant has to do it. That's an excuse.

11. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It sounds like the issue that OP has relates to constant minor maintenance, and I completely sympathize if the PM keeps sending a Handyman out for minor items- $100 for a doorstop here, $100 for a toilet roll holder there....

Sometimes you just get really unlucky, a tap washer will blow out one week and the toilet will start leaking the week after the Plumber gets there- I haaaaaate that.

However- non-urgent minor maintenance should really be bundled together. The PM can check things like towel rails, door stops, window and door rollers, handles and hinges, flymesh, etc, so that the next time a Handyman attends they can deal with a handful of things at a time. If they have a good relationship with the tenants, they will almost always be understanding and work with you.

craigc, wylie, TMNT and 2 others like this.
  12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

belongs in the first world problems thread!

Angel and Michael Mitchell like this.
  13. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Joys of renting vs joys of owning IP. **** happens

14. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Dear Koala,
    I have gently rubbed my rusty toilet roll holder with a bit of jif on a damp cloth, then wiped the remaining rust off with a clean cloth, later, to protect it, a little rub down with some mr sheen or whatever you uses as a protection.
    Problem solved!
    I do hope this helps.

15. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

How about a business taking care of toilet and sewer issues for interstate landlords for lower cost than a plumber.

It could be called Poober

TMNT, datto, Gockie and 2 others like this.
  16. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

Wait till you get a leaking roof, require a new hot water system and get complaints of damp issues, you'll remember the toilet roll problem with fondness.

Tom Rivera and Michael Mitchell like this.
  17. New Town

But yes as a remote owner the small things can do your head in. One annoyance is when your handyman replaces things with the very cheapest possible product. Its hard not to take as an insult to your humble accommodation. And usually you only find out when you see it in a routine inspection photo

18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Often it's because a) it's cheap b) it's available at Bunnies c) looks similar d) expeditious.

Had a trusted plumber replace ¼ turn ceramic disc tapware with washered crap. Not practical for a LOL with arthritis.

New Town likes this.
  19. New Town

And e) I complain if its over $15 :oops:
    Like.. what a new front door for $50 - I'm not James Packer!

20. Ardi

Ardi Well-Known Member

Don't stress, unless you have stockpiled or can fight, you won't have toilet paper to put on the holder.:)

Tom Rivera and SeafordSunshine like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia