Tenants not paying water bills.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by tomlemke, 5th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Well, if it is already at a grand, they should have already turned it off (restricted severly) I would not pay the water bill if it is a seperate bill, once it gets restricted, the tenant could then either pay or leave, but really, you need to work out who is at fault here, sounds like a leak, so they wont pay.

2. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Provided the PM does indeed notify the water company, yes. Otherwise it's a hassle to address it after the fact. It's important to monitor water bills of IPs in VIC to ensure that the only water usage that ever appears on a bill is during a vacancy. If any discrepancy get the PM to fix it straight away.

3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I don't think they were talking about 1 large bill, it hasn't been paid over a period of time and it's up to that amount now.

4. Vk8975

Vk8975 Well-Known Member

I thought I would post my experiences on this particular PM. Not hard to find out which PM if you have seen some other posts by Tom. I remember reading this thread when it was started and since then I am having the exact same problem as @tomlemke . The funny thing is that the tenant pays their rent on time every time, which makes me wonder whether this is just the PM not being bothered about the water bills.

Despite numerous emails and phone calls there is just a blatant disregard by the PM. Emails these days are just ignored too. I have held off on posting this but I think it's important that new members who search for a recommend PM in QLD don't end up with the same issues.

I am in the process of selecting a new PM as a result.

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That sux.
    Probably best to find your new PM as soon as possible.

Vk8975 likes this.
  6. Vk8975

Vk8975 Well-Known Member

Yup I've given the PM the benefit of the doubt but I've decided enough is enough. At the end of the day it was my fault for not being more selective and I should have seen the early signs.

The main thing I learnt from my experience is to not just simply listen to a bunch of people and pick a PM that has worked well for others without doing my own due diligence. Its important to ask potential PM's plenty of questions to see if they can provide the level of service you need.

Perthguy, tomlemke and Property Twins like this.
  7. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

Wise words Vk i did the same thing. : )

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Good on you for using it as a learning experience.
    Hope you find someone better as the next one.

9. ozwanderlust

ozwanderlust Well-Known Member

I signed up for this new forum (previously with somersoft) but have not posted any thread as I am overseas.
    Searching the forum for some issues I have had with PMs in Brisbane, I came across this thread. It mirrors my situation. Have changed PM a few months ago. Previous PM (a large agency) got water reimbursements from previous tenants on a hit-and-miss basis. I was constantly on emails reminded them. New PM seemed to be pro-active at first, and promised to recoup the water reimbursements - months down the track, still nothing. I have again reminded them, got no reply. Been very frustrated. Problems are 2 folds - the backward way of QUU of billing water usage months later (unlike in Vic and NSW), and the agent / tenants blaming each other.
    So looking for a way to resolve this. :mad:

10. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Sometimes it is the tenant...you can always send a first and final notice to settle up....

11. Dave3214

Dave3214 Well-Known Member

Queensland seems to be unique, a friend of mine has a Gladstone property and apparently it's the landlord that needs to pay the water, even though the tenant uses it. But if they don't pay the usage in Victoria then they need to be reported to the authorities and hopefully have a black mark against their name in the future.

12. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

My understanding is that in Qld, the tribunal is unlikely to award lost costs of water bills to the landlord if the bills are older than 6months. As such it is important to ensure the tenant is not too far behind on water bill payments. If they are behind, have the PM issue a breach notice and proceed accordingly with the relevant eviction process if not resolved. Qld is a hot place. It is reasonable to assume people will shower A LOT.

13. ozwanderlust

ozwanderlust Well-Known Member

Just want to update on my situation. Current PM finally managed to get old tenants to reimburse water usage costs - it took over a year. Hate the backward Qld billing for water usage months in arrears. Come on Qld move with the time like other states!!!
    PS - I thought I had set receive email notifications for replies, but never got them. Hence delays in the update.

Perthguy likes this.