Tenant's guest to stay in your spare room as a live owner?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Mcube, 8th Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Not on.

I think it's a bit rude for them to put their guest in the spare room (without first asking for your permission).

Yeah. Nah. If they rent a room then that's it. One room, one person. No extra people, not even for one night (unless it's an emergency and they ask and pay extra).

This should be stipulated right at the beginning of the "lease".

Edit: just read your post mcube, so they did ask. Looks like they are trying to take advantage. You could end up with a house full of strangers lol

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I reckon a few days "now and then" which you've approved has morphed into 9 or 10 days and then another lot of friends for four days with nothing in it for you. Actually it is a PITA for you, extra people using the bathroom, kitchen, taking up "your" space.

Why not just be upfront with them. You have to live with them so need to avoid any awkwardness. Maybe say something like -

"I've been happy for your friends to say a few days, but it seems to be turning into a semi-regular thing and I'm really I'm giving up my spare room and your friends are saving a heap of money by not having to pay for accommodation. How about you ask me each time, but let's make a nominal payment, say $20 per night or $30 for a couple to offset some of the costs to me - water, power, inconvenience of having others in my house."

Either that, or tell them you allowed it before but don't want it to be regular. If you wanted more people there, you'd rent out that room as well.

Tom Rivera and Gockie like this.
  3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I've got a great idea. I reckon you should put the spare room on Airbnb and let them know their mates can book it if they want to use it. With Airbnb, you can block your calendar for times when you don't want anybody in the room.

Television, craigc, geoffw and 5 others like this.
  4. Mcube

Mcube Well-Known Member

Yes, they asked for the permission but it is getting more frequent and the stay is getting longer as well. Like you said, I don't want my house to end up with a lot of strangers. Lol

datto likes this.
  5. Mcube

Mcube Well-Known Member

Yes, that's exactly what I am going to chat to them tonight. I have sent an email about my opinion to them then see whether they agree with it tonight.

datto and wylie like this.
  6. Mcube

Mcube Well-Known Member

Thank you. This is a great idea if I have more time to accomodate guests from airbnb. Another thing is I don't want my housemates to be uncomfortable with strangers from airbnb and it will make me uncomfortable as well. I would to do airbnb if I have a unit or something.
    I will talk to them tonight about their guests though.

7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Arrh Mcube, if you see a tough dude with tatts, wearing a flanno shirt, walk into your house, pick up the flat screen and start walking out, just call the cops cause he's not a guest.

He's actually just collecting a debt owed by one of the guests.

8. Ouchmyknees

Ouchmyknees Well-Known Member

This could be exactly what the tenant is currently doing! Lease out a share room which they have no right to and at no cost! Business genius.

Marg4000 and wylie like this.
  9. Mcube

Mcube Well-Known Member

Lol. It won't come to that I hope.

Tom Rivera and datto like this.
  10. Mcube

Mcube Well-Known Member

It is just that I don't want to restrict their social lives but still want them to be considerate of us. It is better to have a happy tenant in the house so that they don't do any intentional damages though the law covers it.

11. qak

qak Well-Known Member

If it's going to be an issue, the spare room is not available. Make it an ironing room if you have to!

12. Mcube

Mcube Well-Known Member

Haha, I hope not. Can't find the room on airbnb currently.

13. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If you are happy for the room to be occupied, work out the weekly rate you would charge, divide by 7, round up to next $5 and advise your tenants that if they want guests to stay there, then that is the daily rate. Add on $10 or so if two people occupying. Add more if you provide sheets and towel/s to cover laundry costs and wear and tear.
    Marg

punti, luckyone and wylie like this.
  14. Mcube

Mcube Well-Known Member

Thanks Marg. Yeah, I am ok with $20 a night if the guest wants to stay longer than 2 nights. I just want to make sure that tenants are happy to live in and be considerate of others when they have guests. Also, of cos, I don't want them to take advantage of us.

15. Mcube

Mcube Well-Known Member

The room has a queen bed which is quite heavy to move. Lol

16. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

As others have mentioned they are only paying for the room and when they have someone crash in a spare room it costs you money - not just from a bill prospective but you cannot charge someone for the use of the room.

If you don’t want to Airbnb it then tell them that if they want someone to stay there it is $20 a night (whatever figure) regardless if it is 1 night or 10 nights. This will stop people spending a night there reducing your bills and what not.

If they are not happy just tell them if they want their friends to stay there their room price is going up by $20 a night and they can have their friends stay there when they like but you are not a charity and their friends can pay $150 for the motel up the road if they don’t like it.

Mcube and wylie like this.