Tenants from heaven

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by tomlemke, 13th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

Thought this would be an interesting discussion as there is always plenty of " tenant from hell stories"

I have 3 guys around 25 living in my rental property in mayfield nsw, we got a big storm a couple of months ago and a few roofs sheets blew off, so they decided to get up and screw them back on.
    I only found out a month later off the p.m, i was devastated that i lost the opportunity to try and get a new roof done through insurance.

Anyway i was around there today pulling the roof so a mate can re-do it tomorrow, the tenants were sitting inside the whole time after about an hour they came out i was expecting to get a complaint but they offered me and my dad a beer instead.

Why can't there be more people like this.

2. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I wish I had tenants like that. I have a young family that moved into one of mine recently. The young dad is an electrician. A couple of power points were lose...you would think being an electrician he would just fix it but he said he was too busy so I had to send another electrician out there to fix it...

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

They must be fellow investors

Gingin, Elives and Xenia like this.
  4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

To me perfect tenants are ones who are also landlords.

Magnet likes this.
  5. Johnny Cashflow

Johnny Cashflow Well-Known Member

What an ass!

I have great tenants in one of my rentals in lizbef family with 3 young kids. They actually repair the house for me when things are broken :D

Beanie Girl and Xenia like this.
  6. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

Yep, one of my tenants just renewed for 12 months and she's a ripper. Primary teacher; mid-20's; country girl; nothing's a hassle; messages me when my mail goes to her address (my former PPOR); perfect inspection reports. Just ace.

Beanie Girl and Kangaroo like this.
  7. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Did you get them anything so your the LL from heaven??
    I had some young guys do similar, storm damage and they threw up a tarp.
    I dropped off a case

Beanie Girl likes this.
  8. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

It's a double edged sword. I have a fantastic family of tenants living across two of my properties. They're landscape gardeners and have the place looking seriously like the national botanic gardens, trees, gravel, flowers and the works. Immaculate indoors too. No bother from them and never missed a days rent. When it snowed and was -20 outside and inside they didn't complain. I can't put the rent up and suspect I'll be providing housing for life lol.

Beanie Girl, larrylarry and Terry_w like this.
  9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Suitcase?

ellejay likes this.
  10. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

They're adding value to our house I reckon.

legallyblonde likes this.
  11. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Exactly and I'm not complaining but I suspect they're settled for life so I won't be seeing that value anytime soon. Lucky I don't have a large family myself, so I can afford to adopt this very lovely and hard working mob. Dammit!!

Beanie Girl likes this.
  12. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Well-Known Member

I never have had any mails posted to previous PPORs.

13. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

I have two long term tenants that increase their rental to market each year so that they can stay in the property.

14. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I had commercial tenants who stayed on for 21yrs, 14yrs & 11yrs and 2 for 5yrs, as far as I know they are still there [sold property July 15].

legallyblonde and Beanie Girl like this.
  15. Wall Street

Wall Street Well-Known Member

I had a cabinet maker tenant who decided that he didn't like the old kitchen, and asked if I would mind if he put in a new one.

Didn't mind a bit! :cool:

I saw how good his work was and felt a bit guilty - I knocked off a weeks rent and gave him a slab.

16. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I don't know why there aren't more. I have had some exceptional tenants though. I was doing a property inspection for one couple on the way to something else so I had people with me waiting in the car. The couple invited us all in for tea. Very kind.

Another couple reported every fault with the property. This is amazing because one fault (water leaking inside a cavity wall) would have cost thousands to fix if they had not reported it. The way I see it is that it is in my best interests as a landlord to have all faults fixed asap. To me, any tenant that reports faults immediately is a tenant from heaven.

17. pommy

pommy Well-Known Member

Smart guy. If he fixes it there is no upside and plenty of downside.

18. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:

19. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

I have some great tenants. Always offering to pitch in and help with things that they are able to help with. One even goes and cleans the windows of a neighbouring property "for something to do" and "because it needed to be done" and "because he likes to help".

Sackie, KayTea and Beanie Girl like this.
  20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Great story.

One time I was to clear the front garden and back and cut the lawns as they were quite overgrown before some new tenants moved in. 2 months later I found out that the tradies didn't actually do that work (some miscommunication) and the tenants actually spent a lot of their time to do it and never complained at all. Only reason I found out was they communicated to my PM to , get this, thank me for letting them do the gardening as they love what they have done to the garden....

When I found out I sent them $150 movie voucher and chocolates.

Then at the other side of the spectrum I had 1 tenant threatening to sue me for 28k which was totally bogus. Told him where to go and I look very much forward to the day we meet in court. Got new tenants. He never filed papers as he knew he had no case.

JacM and Beanie Girl like this.