Tenants burnt through verandah

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Dogby, 5th Nov, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It would be good to hear from one of the property managers about this.

Bon_E likes this.
  2. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

It hasn't failed from construction faults nor did it cause the damage. You can get grooved floorboards in any case.

groove_reed_rev_board_33-600x400.jpg

Bon_E likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

An insurer will not have concerns with decking installed upside down. This is very common. Many people mistakenly think the rippled element is a tread and there are applications when having ripples up is practical. The key issue is a fire is what damaged the timber. This seems very evident due to the hole and charring.

The nature of the policy will determine what is covered. eg replacement / reinstatement ? Does the policy have an accidental damage clause ? They may even assert a tenant did it maliciously and decline cover as it was not accidental. eg Is the house otherwise in a fair state or was it trashed ? Many policies insure AD as an add-on and its not automatic. It is part of the building insurance policy not contents or LL policy so claiming on the wrong policy may also be declined. The best way to find out is to lodge a claim. The tenant may be liable for the excess rather than cost of repair. The assessor probably will want the BBQ removed as it is a hazard risk. The entire dwelling could have been lost.

Joynz, Dogby, Bon_E and 2 others like this.
  4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Why would tenants have to pay ?

In some places, and even in Redfern, tenants paying no fees used to burn the floorboards on purpose, the owner always replaced and no cost to tenants.....lol...

I did not read it all, but if you gave them petrol and matches, would you not expect them to start a fire ? Your prob just a bit unlucky the whole place did not go if you upped your insurance before providing the ignition source....I mean, really....

On planet earth, I would tell you throw that thing to the sheezhouse, ask tenants to pay & expect a no, and then think a lot more about what your doing and how to distance yourself from the very common stupidity found on this earth, that is not just contained to the tenants sphere unfortunately, you may have to take my word for that.

5. dabbler

YOU want tenants to supervise shizz now too ?

lol

Your lucky there was not 5 extra unlisted "guests" living there that your PM knows about that just burnt the place down while high on whatever, and your insurer is wise up to the gig and wont pay a cent.....

On a serious note, just thank the stars your whole place was not toast, ask them to pay, but just fix it and get decent tenants ASAP after running that thing over yourself with a 4WD about 13 hundred times and looking for other issues....

So easy this get rich quick landlord stuff...eh ?

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  6. Dogby

Dogby Well-Known Member

Genuine question - does oiling wood decking stop it or slow it from burning ?

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Installing the ribs on top does not mean that the deck is failed or uninsurable. Underneath ribs installation is best - but opinions vary on the effectiveness of the ribs anyway to allow water runoff and prevent joist rot (which is why protectadeck should be used on joists rather than believing the direction of the ribs makes a big difference).

A deck with ribs installed on top still structurally works fine as a deck. Plenty of decks with ribs installed down have rotted!

The direction of the ribs has nothing to do with the fire.

And, decks do weather. Looking faded does not mean it is structurally unsound.

That’s all moot though, as the excess is too high for the OP to bother claiming.

My view is that this BBQ is no more dangerous than any other of its type and the tenants should have kept it under observation the whole time they were using it. Just safety and common sense.

Last edited: 13th Nov, 2020
    jared7825 likes this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I agree with this 100%.

Please post a picture of the damage. $1000 sounds pricey.

9. Dogby

Dogby Well-Known Member

More information: This is NSW.
    the NSW Department of Fair Trading says this on its website

Damage
    Tenants must not cause or allow damage to the property, either intentionally or through lack of care or attention, including by other occupants or invited guests.

If the tenant causes or allows damage to the property, the landlord or agent can ask the tenant to arrange to repair the damage or to pay for the costs of the repairs if they are done by the landlord or agent.​

Repairs, maintenance and damage when renting

My tenants have made it very clear to me that they will make my life very difficult if I pursue them, on this, and they can, so I won't be. The property is self managed. The tenant/landlord relationship was 100% cordial and trustworthy until this. sigh

10. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Not sure why a lot of people victim shame on here because most of us are trying to do the same thing at the end of the day, nobody expects people to do foolish things but sometimes it happens. They could have picked up a BBQ from the side of the road and done the same thing .

11. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Document everything, get your PM to take it NCAT and let them decide.

Joynz likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Don't we (Commonwealth of Oz) own them? :confused:

Depends on the type of oil used. I would not recommend eucalyptus, olive, hair, rec, gun or Midnight.

craigc likes this.
  13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Aren’t they moving out? Who cares what they say...

My tenant tried to make me pay for a broken window that occurred during the tenancy. Threatened me and the agent with VCAT.

I didn’t back down and he replaced it in the end (it was more the principle for me as he was a piece of work).

14. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

:D:D:D Very good

Scott No Mates likes this.
  15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I hope my comment about the deck being upside down and possibly "time to replace" hasn't created a sidetrack to the actual problem.

My reason for saying that is because if they've burned through and you are up for a $1k excess, or pay for the repair yourself (or try to get repair cost or excess from the tenants), then instead of putting more money into a deck that looks to be lifting, slightly warped where the joins are and mouldy, perhaps now is the time to replace it. I can't see how big it is, with just a small corner showing in the photo.

There've been times when we've faced similar situations and have decided rather than put more money into fixing something that isn't in the best condition, that is the time to bite the bullet and renew it (deck, oven, bathroom, whatever).

16. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If it was me, and I wanted to refresh the deck, I’d just flip the boards. The underside is likely to be in good condition.

17. NedKelly

NedKelly Well-Known Member

Sounds like they are blackmailing you. Don't be intimidated by them.

craigc and Antoni0 like this.
  18. dabbler

I would likely make no diff, or, help it keep burning....you know the saying...petrol onto a fire... oil =

19. dabbler

I do not agree with that, a gas burner that has no coals cannot burn a deck, not unless your having a real bender, the kids, dog or even a trip knocking over a flimsy thin container full of hot coals....well.....

I guess the point is, at least from me, do not supply all these problem creating extras....unless you enjoy the extra interaction and cost I guess....

20. dabbler

No one is victim shaming, and who is a victim anyway ? The deck only really...

Nobody expects people to do foolish things, really ? I do, it is a matter of how many foolish, or, careless, or malicious may be better words, there is no end to the stupidity or malice of some.

This stuff is not rocket science, if I was the tenant, I would blame the LL as well, they provided a flimsy dangerous BBQ would be my argument, it broke, coals came out, and by the time I realised, the LLs BBQ damaged the LLs deck.....

I also want 10 bucks off a week for the time I had no use of the BBQ and 10 off cause the deck was not able to be used by me or the kids.....

Now, would you provide an extra like this that can cause you headaches ?

Sorry, this is the way the world works now.I suspect you and many know this.

Tenant damages it with the BBQ they put there that they own, 100% on tenant....no question.

My honest opinion, is it is a minefield of what can go wrong, as a LL, you have to always learn and you have to think, you have to be real practical, you need to be able to look from as many angles and views as you can, but mainly, learn and not repeat easily preventable problems.

I am very blunt as many know and have a different sense of humour, but if say the OP asked me this before leasing, and I said throw it out & they did prior to any lease, it would be hard to argue that there would be anything for us all to talk about except for the deck material orientation. This prob would not exist.

In fact, a good PM would have advised of same prior too lease along with all the other things they need to look out for and advise of...

ff3 and Angel like this.