NSW Tenants asking for gates and then request to move it again?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by [d4rk-fr3d], 11th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. [d4rk-fr3d]

[d4rk-fr3d] Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I've got a property that I rent out to this new tenant since last year in Sydney bayside LGA.

Before they sign the contract, they demand me to install the gate due to the dangerous type of dog they bring with them. After spending a couple $$$$, the gate is now fully set up according to my tradesmen, which is I'm happy.

Since this is my property, now I'm very confused because the tenant is not happy and keep on nagging to my PM, they wanted to move the gate according to their own specification at the back of the house to keep the dogs while allowing the postman to deliver the items to the front door.

The renter is now asking for a rent reduction due to the gate position. After haggling around with my PM aggressively.

1. Would I be able to ask them to move the gates themselves?
    2. Would it be appropriate to discharge them as a landlord and then find another tenant while the contract is still less than one year running?

I wonder if this is because of my PM is too accommodating the tenant or this is just a normal renter market?

Any suggestion and comments would be greatly appreciated.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Who decided just where the gate would be installed?

3. [d4rk-fr3d]

[d4rk-fr3d] Well-Known Member

It was me since there was no indication of where to install, and of course, it is my property.

4. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    I wouldn’t move the gate. I would consider adding another gate for the rear , to keep the dog in . There’s probably a little fault on both sides here . They should have specified where the gate needed to be installed - and you probably should have asked as well.

Rugrat and Dean Collins like this.
  5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

What a pair of odd questions. Did you ever just think of saying to them "nah"?

6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What sort of gate are we talking about? Got a photo?

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If they need additional fencing for stock control, the tenant should be advised to install their own or get a post office box for deliveries. You provided what they required, fencing/a gate. (admittedly, you should have put some thought into where this should be put).

We had previously done this for a tenant, fence went at the shortest point between the house and side fence (house sat on a diagonal on the block). Tenant closed off under the house to prevent the dog getting in.

Rugrat, significance, wylie and 2 others like this.
  8. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

If the tenants are otherwise paying rent on time and looking after the property (and dogs are not causing other issues), then maybe the most practical option is to get a quote on moving the gate as this is likely to be an issue for future tenants too.

Think of the gate as a value-add for your property so it is now securely fully fenced, and not as an expense for these tenants.

The PM should have provided more detail to you on where the gate would be best located and now help you navigate this situation. I would always try and resolve the issue rather than an ongoing rent reduction.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I'm about to go through the same with gates in about one hours time due to the storms last night and one section been blown apart on one property..The Tenant rang about one hour ago ,not going to worry about insurance just intend to go a farms supply out-let buy a 3000mts by 1800 gal gate and fix it this morning ..

With your problem as this is a business cost wise i would just fix it the way to suit future tenants but we are all different..imho..

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  10. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I think tennants with a big dangerous breed dog should count their lucky stars that they have found a house to rent.

craigc, Stoffo, Angel and 7 others like this.
  11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

What you need to understand is that owning property is the same as running a Business. Firstly, if I've got a tenant DEMANDING I do anything BEFORE they've even signed the contract, that flags a big NO as far as I'm concerned. If they ask nicely for something, then I MAY do it, but I am not obligated to do so. If it is something expensive, that I can see a value add, then I MAY, at my discretion do it, but the rent will be adjusted, because the listed rental amount is to take the property AS IS.

craigc, Rugrat, datto and 4 others like this.
  12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

and im sure if the dog bit someone, the dog would be harmless and wouldnt hurt a fly, and totally out of character

Shogun, datto and TAJ like this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I agree with all this, but I would (and have) added things that make the house more attractive for that particular tenant (especially in a slow rental market), but only if the value add makes sense for future tenants.

When the rental market was slow in a recent period where we had an empty house and we had to people through the open house, only one was keen to rent it. I'd already priced up a split for the main bedroom and I believe that helped swing the deal. I wasn't going to risk losing the only application (and it was a good applicant) by trying to increase the rent when potential applicants were thin on the ground.

Over many years, we've often added something while a tenant is in the house, without increasing the rent and increase the rent when the next lot go in.

14. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

It amazes me how many of these kinds of issues could be solved by your astute proposition.

Michael Mitchell and skater like this.
  15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Saying'no' means that the tenant should take a good hard look at themselves and find an alternative solution, they've had one crack at it and ballsed it up.

datto and Michael Mitchell like this.
  16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'd be leaving the gates as is and asking the tenant to move.