Tenanted property - fixed to periodic lease

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by DaMonkeyMan123, 21st Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. DaMonkeyMan123

DaMonkeyMan123 New Member

Hi guys,

New poster here. I have just bought a unit in Brisbane. It is tenanted until March, and I move in around June. I have claimed the stamp duty exception as a first home buyer.

In an ideal world, I can keep the tenant in place for another two months, just to avoid the overlap of mortgage/rent. If the current fixed lease rolled over onto a periodic lease, this would mean I am no longer eligible for the exception I believe.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks!

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I can confirm that my son was not allowed to extend the lease when he bought with tenants in place. He could not write a new lease and he could not allow them to stay past the lease end date.

3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Check the requirements in QLD - but I think for most FHB grants around the country, you have 12 months to move into the place.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This is a question about stamp duty exception, and that is different I think than FHB grants.

OSR is the only place to confirm, but the situation was as I described for my son. I don't think it has changed. He could neither renew the lease, nor allow the sitting tenant to stay one day longer than the end of the lease it was sold with.