Tenant wants reimbursement

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by qak, 29th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. qak

qak Well-Known Member

We had a request from a tenant saying she couldn't turn on a fixture. We sent the instructions to her.
    Then she said it was dusty inside, so we sent her the cleaning instructions.

Tenant has now sent a bill for a service call to the PM, asking for reimbursement. We were not consulted beforehand.

Should we be paying for this?
    The tenant has previously requested quotes for other things she wanted, none of these were needed.

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

What sort of fixture ?

ta

rolf

3. qak

qak Well-Known Member

Fireplace.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Who did the tenant get out to "service" the fireplace?

I wouldn't want to pay for any tenant who has called someone out after being given instructions to clean and "start" a fireplace?

How does one "start" a fireplace anyway? Ours is dusty, and needs wood and then we light a fire. Is yours a wood burner?

5. Ben43

Ben43 Well-Known Member

Send them "Notice to Vacate - Substantial Renovations Required - Fireplace Dusting." :)

And no, I wouldn't be paying this.

datto and Michael Mitchell like this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It sounds like it might be a gas fire - they can be tricky to start if they have a pilot light.

My gas heating unit (which has a pilot) sometimes needs a plumber to help get it going at the beginning of winter. Following the instructions doesn’t work. Sometimes the pipe needs to be ‘bled’ too.

7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Are you deliberately being cagey with information here?

8. skyfall

skyfall Well-Known Member

Yes I also get the feeling we're not being told the full story here. Very vague OP only using the word "fixture".

9. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I was trying to be non-identifying in case said tenant googles :rolleyes:

10. qak

qak Well-Known Member

The pilot light was turned off because it was warming up the room in Summer.
    We weren't advised of any issue after sending them the instructions on how to relight. Or clean!

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Seriously?

I would also disconnect any piezo starters in the stove in case they start a fire. :p

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Tenants generally prefer the pilot light turned off in summer (and also, sometimes, if they go on holiday in other seasons) to minimise gas usage and worrying about leaving a flame unattended for many days.

My heater is old and it has been adjusted to have a largish pilot light, so I can see how it might be seen as wasteful.

Do you live on the same city as the house? If so, I suggest you have a go at starting it next winter. It might be harder than you think. Also, some manuals are badly written...

13. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

It's a maintenance issue, non-essential? (I'm unsure of this in your state etc), if yes, Lessor/Agent must be given chance to remedy - Tenant can't just go racking up bills etc. Even with essential services, they need to show they've attempted to call/engage Lessor/Agent to fix before going off on their own to get done. Without knowing everything, but with deets provided, going to suggest you just handle their claim for compo with 'benign neglect' and if they really feel strongly about it meet them at xCAT

14. qak

qak Well-Known Member

This is what I was thinking, but couldn't express.

I was stunned they just went and paid someone to do this sort of thing and then expect us to reimburse it. It is after number of requests for things to be done (like a fixing a scuff mark on the floor on the entry condition report). I think the PM is fed up as well.

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a very entitled tenant. I wonder if they realise the reason the scuff mark is mentioned on the entry condition report so that they are not blamed for making the mark?

Or do they think the entry condition report is a list of things that need fixing? :rolleyes:

Michael Mitchell and qak like this.
  16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Send the tenant an orchy bottle, cigarette lighter and a set of instructions. For crying out loud, what's next? toilet roll needs a set of instructions and a service call out as well. Bend over lol.

Michael Mitchell, willair and qak like this.
  17. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Better to just buy a bucket,and be careful what one wishes for ,if Labor reads this as some people want not only changing of the rules but also the referee then we would all be up xxxx creek..

Michael Mitchell and datto like this.
  18. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Don't have a clue what actually went on here but as I tenant I would try and get it paid for rather than paying for it upfront and seeking reimbursement.

That being said however its not uncommon for PMs to either drag thier feet or not respond to tenants at all, so consider that the tenant might have been trying to sort out a simple problem without any help from the PM.
    If that happened they probably just gave up and called someone out themselves. It happens.

19. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Logan Council has a whole website on poo. ******** is an issue for local government.

Last edited by a moderator: 2nd May, 2021

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia