tenant wanting roof to be insulated

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Elives, 11th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

I have seen houses where tenants have pinched the insulation at the end of the tenancy. The property managers don't notice since they are not in the business of hauling ladders around to check the roof cavity.

2. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Honestly thar just means it wasnt done right.

A combination of anticon or similar, good high r value batts and a light colorbond roof vs a tiled roof with no insulation and everything else the same would be astronomical. Im talking many degrees cooler naturally and a big drop in the need for a/c

Angel and Joynz like this.
  3. sanj

Good post. Ultimately with a bit of money and a lot of attention to detail a huge difference can be made to how we live on a day to day basis as well as lead to big drops in energy usage

Joynz likes this.
  4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

That could be the case. I don't know. It was the Labor government's insulation spend-a-thon, and then when people died, it was removed. We probably should have done some homework but the insulation company advised us which type. Interestingly, each house we had done miraculously came in at just a few dollars under the cap that was covered by the scheme.

I'm fairly sure the whole thing proved to be a disaster from go to whoa, with companies (I believe) who didn't know what they were doing setting up businesses with untrained staff (according to the newspaper reports anyway), and an absolute tragedy for those young people whose lives were lost. I wish we'd never had it done.

5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I see this partially as trying one on.
    Property owner vs tenant is a power struggle.
    Having power doesn't mean being an ass.
    It's just about letting them know who's boss.

Anything can be done... For a price
    Tell them that a new lease is going to get drawn up with an increase of $x if they want insulation done.

if they don't like it, tell them to wear some more jumpers.

Bayview likes this.
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Roof insulation wont make any difference to noise transfer through non-insulated walls.

As for insulation done through that govt scheme. A friend of mine was at home when the guys turned up at their house. The staff simply threw the batts up into the roof cavity but didn't spread it out or lay it anywhere. They were lumped together around the manhole. My friend got up there after they left and he finished the job, mumbling about fire hazards and what a waste of taxpayer's $$.

Jasmine likes this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Is @sanj the only one in defence of ensuring the livability of the premises?

Everyone else has backed up the attitude of "if it doesn't increase rent there's no point" as opposed to maintaining cashflow by keeping the "customer happy". What sort of customer service are you providing - this is YOUR business folks, you have one unhappy customer (think of the backlash of 'tight@rse landlord won't. ..... on ACA, FB, etc).

We say that we 'care' about the environment but don't give a stuff about the environment when it comes to our own hip pocket? What a bunch of hypocrites!

(Off your high horse SNM).

inertia, Jasmine and sanj like this.
  8. wylie

For me, it has nothing to do with being a tightarse or a hypocrite. We don't have insulation and when we did have it we didn't notice any difference. So personally I don't see the value in it.

We look after our tenants very well though. Everything in our houses works or is fixed immediately. We just had our own sliding fate fixed after it hasnt worked for months at a time for the past few years. We would never expect a tenant to get out of a car to manually slide a gate like we've done for years when it was not working. It would be fixed immediately.

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I agree with 'walking the talk' about sustainability. My concern is to be sure that whatever you do is right for the situation.

I installed thermal curtains in my IP in Melbourne following a tenant request.

I disagree with one of the comments above which said something like 'I didn't notice any difference when insulation was installed temporarily , therefore insulation is useless!'. That's like saying 'I didn't brush my teeth for three months and didn't get cavities in that time, so no one needs to'. In that house, insulation really may not have been needed. Or maybe it was the wrong type, or maybe not in place in the season for which it was designed....

Queensland has particular requirements for insulation. It's not just a matter of putting in some batts. In QLD, some 'free running' houses may not need insulation, others may just need reflective insulation, others, which rely on artificial cooling due to rubbish design, may need a lot of bulk insulation.

And then there is the whole issue of avoiding creating excess condensation ...

10. wylie

You've misquoted me quite badly. I never actually said that. I said we didn't notice any difference.

I didn't say anything about "therefore insulation is useless".

You made that up. Apology accepted :D.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

No apology offered! Or needed. (I do write this with great respect, though.)

I was summarizing the comment hence the qualifier '...something like...' :)

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I accept that you may not necessarily notice the difference however when installed properly it is effective. It's better to have it installed than not (like Kevin 07 even gave it out for free, so it must be good). Even if it is limited to slowing down the transfer of heat it's better than nothing.

We live in a cavity brick, insulated & shaded house taking into account solar orientation etc - it still gets hot and cold but with smaller extremes.

13. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

My question would be is it a cold/hot house? Some houses have no insulation but seem to do ok. If this is one of those houses that really needs insulation then without it you will have a constant turnover of tenants. If you can get the tenant to pay for insulation = bonus.

14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We had insulation installed under the govt scheme. We used a well established Brisbane company that had been around for a long time (hubby had insured them ten years previously). They recommended batts which we went with.

Didn't notice much difference. Our ceiling was well ventilated prior with larger eave vents and Whirly birds. We mainly installed the insulation for resale value, and didn't have to pay much.

After six months or so we got in touch with the company to tell them the insulation had made little difference. They sent out a supervisor who climbed into the ceiling and spent hours packing the batts more tightly and installing another two bales of batts.

Difference noticeable, mainly in summer.
    Marg

Elives likes this.
  15. wylie

We had the foil product, not batts. Maybe batts would have worked better. I guess for whatever reason we don't have a big issue here. We are on a hill, good breezes, whirly birds to get the heat out and a verandah to keep the sun from hitting the living room walls. I recall at the time being excited to see whether we were cooler, and we just didn't notice any difference.

What we do notice is that when we enter the house on a hot day it is always cooler downstairs. The roof and whole upstairs living areas keep the downstairs much cooler. That is a no brainer of course. Maybe if we did install batts we might be cooler, but it is far down the list of things we ever think about.

If we had tenants asking us for insulation (or even asking "is there insulation?") we would certainly consider it. We've never been asked.

We've had tenants not take houses in the past due to not having a deck, and we've added dishwashers, air-con as tenants have expected these things as the years roll by and they become "normal" and houses without become the houses harder to rent.

16. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I figured from your post that you had the tin foil. We looked at it, but hubby was keen to use a company whose reputation he trusted.

Our house is very well designed with great solar passive advantages. We did not feel we needed insulation, but felt it was too good an opportunity to bypass as the cost to us was minimal as the govt paid the first $1600 (from memory).

However, it is a lowest house, and in summer we do notice the difference when we come in from outside. Friends who had a high set house used to sleep downstairs in the rumpus room on hot summer nights!
    Marg

17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Fortunately for me it's a no brainer as everything I build HAS to have insulation so that it passes the 6 star energy tests. Guess my tenants are lucky.
    Good design and good insulation means a lot in Perth - mainly in terms of our summers but also benefits in winter.

Scott No Mates and legallyblonde like this.
  18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

It might be strange to them.
    As I said, there is much stranger.

19. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

When did I say I care about the environment ?

Why do I care about high horses or who rides them ?

Am in the middle of removing insulation from a rental now before it is let, this will prevent theft & provide an opportunity to show who is boss & at the same time, we add 20% to energy bills, so the higher they are, the better for us.

:)

Ed Barton, No Probs and Azazel like this.
  20. sanj

On
    Are you serious or trolling? If serious can you explain what you achieve by the tenant having a worse property to live in with higher ebergy bills? Why is that better for you?