Tenant shattered shower screen

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Synergy, 28th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Synergy

Synergy Well-Known Member

One of the tenants was using the shower and the door got stuck shut. Then tried to push it open just enough to grab a towel and the glass has shattered over tenant. Tenant thankfully is ok, just small cuts. I rang terri and said excess is 1000 for glass. And terri will pay difference anything past 1000.

PM has someone to fix asap. No communication from tenants since Sunday when it happened. House is brand new. Tenants been in there since mid December.

Should I go back to builder and say the screen door was stuck shut? Could be a defect in installation or the glass itself? Was a Stegbar shower.

Just unsure of the process since im a newbie

2. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

How old is the unit, Stegbar do have a couple of years warranty

3. Synergy

Synergy Well-Known Member

House it 3 months old, builder will have warranty?

4. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I’d be approaching the builder to have it completed/reimbursed by them if it was an installation defect.

Tom Rivera, kierank and housechopper2 like this.
  5. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Property Manager Business Member

1. defective product, covered by builders warranty
    2. tenant not telling the whole story, they actually broke the glass

You most likely have a first and foremost obligation to ensure the premise is fit and safe to live in, in that regard you need to get the hazard fixed ASAP and worry about who pays second.

If it were me, from what you've described, I'd first try the builder, but landlord insurance claim would be a close second. If you have reasonable evidence the tenant caused the damage, this is a breach of contract (in most leases) and you should considering trying to claim compensation for the remedial cost/excess through xCAT if they won't voluntarily pay.