Tenant Rights

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by JordanHrovat, 8th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JordanHrovat

JordanHrovat Member

Can a tenant request to see a record of their Inspection Reports and Rental Ledger?

What rights do they have in relation to requesting and viewing these reports?

Thank you for your responses.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A tenant can request a copy of their ledger at any time as it is a record of their financial position at the current point in time.

Interim property inspection report is commercial in confidence between owner and agent. Have a read of the agency's privacy policy with regards to the information which you may be entitled to access, review and correct.

3. JordanHrovat

JordanHrovat Member

Okay, so I guess tenants only have a right to their breach notice, not inspection reports. Is it common for Property Managers to request to see if a tenant has any breach notices from their previous residence, when they're applying for a new property?

4. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Each post contradicts, what Scott said is correct.

Property Managers/Owners will (should) contact previous for any breaches, or other issues, of applying/potential tenants.

Are you a landlord or tenant?

5. JordanHrovat

JordanHrovat Member

A landlord.

I just want to get all my information right before renting out the property.

Is it mandatory for the previous Landlord/PM to provide these breach notices?

6. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

No, nor can you trust they’ll be accurate/truthful, they might be busy, can’t be bothered looking it up etc, in the end it’s always your judgement rather than relying on others.

I suggest looking up your State government websites re info regarding Landlords & Tenants, then decide if you really want to save tax deductible $ paying someone else to manage it for you.
    Post the suburb in the search filter up top, someone may have recommended one they use.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@JordanHrovat - Previous property manager will be cautious as to the information which they provide to another managing agent or landlord so as not to breach any privacy duty owed to the tenant either.

So as a LL you could expect to see the prospective tenant's ledger only if the tenant has provided it with their application.

Tom Rivera likes this.