Tenant requeting front end loader clothes washing machine installed at their expense (in kitchen)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Anthony Brew, 4th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. datto

datto Well-Known Member

With a washer in the kitchen (or bathroom) just remember to place the the drain hose over a sink and not let it hang down on the side of the machine.

I know it's stating the obvious but it does happen:)

Ted Varrick likes this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If you bought this apartment I am surprised that you don't know what ammenities are available in the complex that are common property to you.

Anyway:
    1. A washing machine inside an apartment will increase it's rentability
    2. If you own the washing machine it is a depreciating asset and if you can increase the rent it may pay for itself.
    3. in WA you are not allowed to put a washing machine in a kitchen - you would need to check the state it apartment is in. It is part of the Health Act of 1911 in WA - a trough of 36 litres must accompany the washing machine and it must not be installed where food is prepared (ie kitchen). 1911 is so relevant to today :(

Overall I think it's a good idea and as long as it's legal in your State to do so then I would let the tenant do it or do it yourself.

luckyone likes this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Did they have washing machines in 1911?

Sackie and Nattl3s like this.
  4. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

I installed one in the bathroom of a unit, had a few problems: from memory, tried to drain it into the pipe from the sink but the pipe was too narrow and the force of the water on spin pushed the the drain hose out flooding the floor.

40 yr old unit with galv pipes corroding internally causing blockages probably didn't help either.

Luckily unit is on ground floor with very easy going strata and plumber put a wider drain pipe through wall straight into drains or whatever outside. Also fitted some sort of connection with a hose clamp with thumbscrew so hose wouldn't fly off.
    No problems since. I am touching wood and crossing myself typing this hoping I am not tempting fate.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This post reminded me of a photo I grabbed from somewhere recently. This kitchen looks like it is from the 50s or 60s and clearly it doesn't have a washing machine in the kitchen... but it does have a toilet there. :eek:

Actually, on closer inspection, the toilet is in the bathroom and she is half standing in the bath whilst putting the dinner on the little cooker IN THE BATHROOM! :eek::D

IMG_0751.JPG

Nattl3s and luckyone like this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

LOl - no toilets allowed in kitchen but no one said no cookers allowed in bathrooms :p

Sackie likes this.
  7. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

If that's not an economic use of space, then I don't know what is.

Was the photographer sitting on top of the fridge to take the photo?

8. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Washing machines on spin cycles can be very noisy and cause ' the whole house to vibrate' ( Personal experience speaking here..)
    Make sure your plumber installs it on a joist.. and sound proofs
    (A sheet of polystyrene?? under it )
    I hope this helps

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Bunnings sells rubber mats specifically for this. Only cost about $15.

SeafordSunshine likes this.