Tenant requeting front end loader clothes washing machine installed at their expense (in kitchen)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Anthony Brew, 4th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

She has been a good tenant since moving in 6 months ago into 1bd apartment. Inspection showed that tenant is looking after her property very well. So for this reason I would like to be as accommodating as possible - depending on risk to me of course.

PM
    Tenant has requested if she, at her cost, could put a front end clothes washer in the kitchen.
    She is proposing to get qualified professional plumber to install it beside her wash basin and pipes to be connected under the sink.

Me
    Can you tell me if there will be any costs when it is removed such as as any damage or modifications that would need to be fixed?

PM
    I mentioned to her that all cost will be worn by herself, and any damage if any to be rectified, my only concern is that I know it’s a front end loader clothes washer, and that there is no drain in the kitchen should it break down with a wash, the kitchen and lounge carpet may be flooded, as the front door will need to be opened.
    Chances of it happening would be slim.
    Your thoughts?

I have little to no experience any any of this and would appreciate any thoughts/advice on what you would do (or have done in the past) for anything similar. Thanks in advance.

2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Is there no laundry in the apartment now - shared laundry perhaps? Where does she wash her clothes?

3. zed_kid

zed_kid Well-Known Member

Where is the current washing machine? Is there a laundry room? If not sounds like the tenant is willing to create one for you, sounds like a good deal at first glance.

4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I can see why she might want the washing machine there. We're looking at putting a washing machine in the ensuite. We don't have kids and it's easier to throw dirty cloths straight into a washing machine in the ensuite.

Would this be a more suitable location?

Overall though, if that's what she really wants, consider that you pay for the white goods and the tenant pay for the instillation. That way you get to keep the washing machine and don't have to worry about damage on the way out.

5. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I recall reading that it's compulsory for the washing machine room (in this case, the kitchen) to have a floor drain as well as a 65/70mm pipe for the waste water connection... if that's the case then you would need to check if strata's building insurance will cover damage caused by an improperly-installed washing machine failing

Ted Varrick, Perthguy and Tom Rivera like this.
  6. Anthony Brew

Thank you for the responses.

I am not sure if there is a shared laundry.
    I don't know she is currently washing her clothes.
    I will ask.

Sorry forgot to mention it is a 1 bd apartment so no ensuite. But yes bathroom would be better if it would fit but I don't think it fits.

She would be purchasing it. I don't really want to purchase it since it takes up room making a 1bd apartment look even smaller plus its weird having a washing machine in the kitchen which I believe is the only place it would fit that is not on carpet.

Hmm yea damage is what I am worried about. You make a good point about that damage possibly extending to other apartments which would ending up causing severe problems and stress for me.

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

No different to a dishwasher. Most apartments you choose between dishwasher or clothes washer.

The Y-man

S.T, Anthony Brew and JacM like this.
  8. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

You'll find many apartments in other countries have a washing machine and perhaps even a drier in the kitchen - sometimes hidden behind a cupboard door (although ventilation becomes important then).

Anthony Brew and JacM like this.
  9. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

Yes very common these days to have a washing machine in the kitchen though maybe just a front loader: a front end loader would get some odd looks! (And probably not wash very well)

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I should always read more than the title...

If the tenant wants to put a front end loader in her unit, will it fit through the door? I'd also want an engineer's certificate for the loading imposed.

Last edited: 4th Aug, 2017
    datto and DaveM like this.
  11. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Normal in the UK to have a washing machine in the kitchen. I would have thought this was a basic necessity for most people? Why not buy one cheap from Aldi or such like, then it stays there, no damage and if it makes you happy you could make a small increase to the rent? If not then she would just be advised to put newspaper/sheets down on the floor when removing it or whatever to protect the floor.

It would seem very unlikely that a flood would occur but if it did, isn't that what insurance is for? I wouldn't have thought that risk of a rare event would justify denying someone a very basic convenience of being able to wash their clothes without going outside to a laundry?

Last edited: 4th Aug, 2017
    Anthony Brew and JacM like this.
  12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Hmmm.....

front-end-loader-course-mine-machine-training.jpg

The Y-man

drg86, datto, mikey7 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

There are some regulations about washing machines, I believe. I think there has to be a tub, or an 'alternative solution'.

Best to check with a plumber to be sure. If there is a problem with it, you don't want to void your insurance if the washing machine leaks ( even if it is unrelated, insurance companies have been known to draw a long bow to avoid paying claims).

Anthony Brew likes this.
  14. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

When we were living in Sydney, the upstairs apartment's hot water tank leaked through our ceiling and it was covered by the body corporate. Maybe it'd be similar with this although that's probably if the water went to another apartment as well rather than just staying in your own

Anthony Brew likes this.
  15. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

@Anthony Brew could you do a deal with the tenant? Say you get a plumber in and put a washing machine in properly. Something that complys with all the rules.

This in theory makes your unit more rentable and you should be able to easily negotiate a $10 per week rent increase from the tenant as they now don't have the expense of putting a machine in?

Win win?

Anthony Brew likes this.
  16. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

You own this place, right? There must be a laundry room/cupboard in the apartment either shared or private.

Anthony Brew and Marg4000 like this.
  17. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

When I recently built a granny flat I tried to have the washing machine put under the vanity in the bathroom and the builders told me they could only install a washing machine next to a trough, therefore the vanity would either have to be a trough or the vanity bench would have to contain a trough plus vanity basin. They said the building regs did not allow it to be any other way, perplexing I know as they seem to manage very well in the UK. Likewise, they could not install in the kitchen. I'm not sure if building regs differ state to state, the council should know surely?

Anthony Brew and wylie like this.
  18. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what I was referring to above. Apparently, you can apply for an 'alternative arrangement' - like when a building is deemed to comply - but you could be refused.

I just looked around about 10 new apartments in one recently finished apartment building in Melbourne. Even though the apartments were small dog boxes, they still all had small separate laundries (behind folding doors in the bathrooms, mostly).

Last edited: 5th Aug, 2017
    Anthony Brew and moridog like this.
  19. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

I don't know whether it would be deemed to comply but I had a small HWS in a cupboard that sat in a tray with a device that cut off the supply of it sensed water. Seemed very sensible.

I would allow the washer subject to space, bathroom is preferable but shared laundries are terrible. Makes the unit much more attractive to renters / buyers.

Anthony Brew likes this.
  20. Anthony Brew

Thanks so much for all the responses. It's really nice to have a knowledge base to go to for advice.

Yeah this is true I suppose. A dishwasher could breakdown and flood the place the same as a front loading washing machine. Good point - thanks.

Thanks for the reply ellejay.
    The problem with buying one is that then if/when it breaks down I have to pay for it to be fixed and replaced when I doubt very much it will add value to a 1bd apartment. It might even make it worse since it takes up more space in what is already a limited area.
    But yea after @The Y-man pointed out that it would have a similar risk/consequences of flooding as a dishwasher, I am thinking that it is probably fine.

Hi hammer,
    Hmm I don't really think it would change the rent. I could probably increase the rent $10 to pay for it as you suggested, but beyond that I would have to maintain and replace it and I doubt future tenants will be more likely to rent it, so I don't think it is worth it.
    Do you think it would be worth it to pay for a plumber myself to make sure the job is done properly? If that will reduce the risks I would be willing to pay? Do you think that would be worthwhile?

Yes I own the apartment.
    I asked my agent if there was a shared laundry room somewhere in the building but while replying to other questions he missed it and did not reply to that question. I will ask him again.
    If there is one, do you think it would be most prudent to insist she uses that, even though it is in a place accessible to the tenants in the other 11 apartments?

Thanks for the reply moridog.
    I am not sure if it the same thing. You had it "installed" so you had a space especially for it and had the opportunity to talk to a builder, whereas she is just plonking it down in the kitchen. So it will be a plumber called and no builder.
    I am not sure how to check the regulations for this (the apartment is in Sydney).