Tenant request to modify property - NDIS grant

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by inertia, 6th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. inertia

    inertia Well-Known Member

    19th Jun, 2015
    Newcastle, NSW
    Howdy all,

    Has anyone had a situation where a tenant has requested to modify a property using an NDIS grant?

    Apparently the tenant has been there about 10 years (I have only held the property for a few years). Perfectly adequate tenant, pays rent on time. Their son has sent through a letter stating that he has been approved for an NDIS grant to modify the bathroom and the stairs to be more accessible. He is asking for some kind of guarantee that I will not be developing the site for 5 years, as they are only eligible for grants every 5 years, and if they are renting, they need to be in there for 5 years to be considered (apparently).

    Now, I have not made any plans to do anything specific with the property - my position was always that while ever it is tenanted, I would let it run its course, but it will definitely need some work at some point (either full reno, or maybe knock down and rebuild). I can almost guarantee no changes for 2-3 years, but my certainty decreases the further out I project. Especially after the last 12 months, a lot can change in that period of time!

    Additionally they have asked for a reverse cycle air con to be installed. I'm inclined to go ahead with that, not a massive cost, but not sure if I would bump the rent after that. If the bathroom reno went ahead, arguably I am benefiting off that, so maybe I would just absorb the cost for this tenant.

    Any thoughts or observations on this would be appreciated. I've asked the PM their opinion too, waiting for a response.

  2. Scott No Mates

    Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

    18th Jun, 2015
    Sydney or NSW or Australia
    A free bathroom Reno care of the NDIS/govt - a small outlay for you to install AC, incremental rent review.

    Consider offering a 3 year lease to appease the tenant (anything longer may require registration and to be drawn up by the solicitor - new cover page on law society template).

    Retain the right to approve the design of the works and require that a licensed contractor perform the works & building inspector/certificates to be provided.
    SeafordSunshine, AxeLy and Dan Wood like this.