Tenant refuses to pay, what to do?!

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by DorothytheDinosaur, 14th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If they've signed one lease, then they can indeed be left with the problem. I'm not suggesting that is how this should be handled though.

Is the bond held in all four names?

Perp likes this.
  2. NedKelly

NedKelly Well-Known Member

If they've all signed one lease it's a problem for all four of them to solve. You cannot skirt responsibility just by moving out.

Perp, Tom Rivera and Rugrat like this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Time to see a lawyer for some legal advice perhaps.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  4. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Perfect summary, your PM should be reminding all 4 of them of their obligations under the term of the lease, simple as that.

thesuperman, TMNT, Tom Rivera and 3 others like this.
  5. DorothytheDinosaur

DorothytheDinosaur Member

Hi Terry,

Can I contact you re legal advice? I can't seem to send you a conversation request through this propertychat send-a-message platform.

I understand what everyone is saying and it's so helpful to know that they're all liable for full rent. However we have applied to do the RTA QLD conciliation because the tenants are uncommunicative and won't do a payment plan with us.

And I'm wondering what we should do about the tenants who are paying their bit but want that letter saying they only want to be liable for their portion. If we don't give them that letter, the worst case is they just leave, which I know they shouldn't do. But what are their consequences?

I am still quite undecided about what to do...

6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Potentially: Terminate the joint lease. Re-sign immediately afterwards with the ones you want to keep?

7. NedKelly

Did the four tenants know each other before they moved in? Are the friends?

8. DorothytheDinosaur

Yes, They are friends and in the past shared a house as well. Two couples.

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No, this is not my area sorry.

10. thatbum

Its my area but it seems awfully simple to me so far. Pretty much what I've suggested in this thread already. What am I missing?

skater, Ryan23, Perp and 1 other person like this.
  11. NedKelly

I agree with you. The fact they they are all friends, knew each other before signing the lease and have previously shared a house just confirms the "joint and several" condition. There is no portion of rent to be divided up. Don't try and conciliate just with the couple that are not paying the rent or you could open yourself up to modifying the "joint and several" condition.

Perp likes this.
  12. thatbum

I don't agree with you here. I'm not sure what even "modifying the joint and several" would mean exactly, but I don't think there's anything like that in this context.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  13. NedKelly

I may have misconstrued what DorothytheDinosaur meant when she said "However we have applied to do the RTA QLD conciliation because the tenants are uncommunicative and won't do a payment plan with us." Previously she said the tenants that were uncommunicative were the couple that refused to pay. If you just take this couple to the RTA you are electing to ignore the joint and several liability in the lease and take up a complaint against just two of the occupants thus making an election to sever the joint liability of all four tenants.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  14. DorothytheDinosaur

According to my PM, the bill for non eviction in Qld passed on Wednesday and apparently takes effect today? I am not sure. Can anyone recommend a lawyer in Qld who knows the current situation? I'm just going off the Qld govt website and what my PM is telling me....

I'd like to terminate like @thatbum recommended, as they have been uncommunicative. But if the bill's effective, does that mean we can't? And that the only way is to go through RTA conciliation.

15. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

The tenants are required to respond to you by participating in the covid process. If they don't, they aren't covered by the non-eviction protections.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.