NSW Tenant refuse to pay rent!

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Jason Turner, 8th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

had a read of that, interesting,

seems like a young person who is just trying to keep his costs down but isnt aware of legalities, and probably never rented himself and never had a HWS leak

pretty **** poor attitude in thinking he could sue the agent and even tenant for mould, leaks and dirty carpets

2. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

Wow... I've read a lot about some dodgy owners over many years but that guy is right up in the gold medal class of owners who does not deserve to own let alone be anywhere near owning investment properties.

These are the owners that make for riveting viewing at Tribunals, as Tribunal Members hand the owner's backside to them on a platter.

Last edited: 12th Jun, 2020
    Perp likes this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Well, yes, it is entertaining.

4. CryptoClown

CryptoClown Well-Known Member

Not saying the landlord is in the right-especially with the mail opening.

My message still stands. It sucks he isn't getting rent. He should have had a PM. She is probably dodgy if she isn't paying rent.but can afford it.

5. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

Your tennant sounds like a problem, but to be brutally honest you are just as much of a problem by failing to follow proper procedure.

I'm sure there is more to the story than the one side that we are hearing about here, but you really shouldnt be managing the property yourself if you have no idea of your basic obligations.

This whole thread is so ridiculous I can't believe it could actually be true, it is however entertaining so I took the bait.

Last edited: 13th Jun, 2020
  6. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

7. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

@Tom Rivera there's a reason I haven't posted in this thread! :p

Michael Mitchell and spludgey like this.
  8. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Didn't know you were renting! ;)

Mel Morgan likes this.
  9. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I'm a long term rent-veloper! However there are so many issues to untangle here that OP might have some trouble convincing a property manager to get involved.

Michael Mitchell and spludgey like this.
  10. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

Absolutely correct. These types of owners are the ones who have a myriad of problems that need solving and when they approach an agent, they hear the fees to be charged and they start trying to screw the agent down on fees. We've all heard of these owners before.

NOT WORTH THE HEADACHE.

Perp and Redwing like this.
  11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...-for-failing-to-pay-rent-20200619-p5545q.html

Not saying this is ok but there are 2 sides to this story that we don't get to hear. If the system looked after landlords as well as tenants equitably, this kind of thing wouldn't happen.

I keep reading over and over that landlords are taken care of bc they can defer their mortgage (so its ok not to pay the rent). Yet, no mention of the fact that tenants get off scott free after 6 months but landlords will be living with the consequences for up to 30 years.

Last edited: 19th Jun, 2020
    luckyone and Antoni0 like this.
  12. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Please, enlighten me. What possible 2nd side could in any way justify bring an enforcer around and beating someone until they pay money?

[QUTOE]I keep reading over and over that landlords are taken care of bc they can defer their mortgage (so its ok not to pay the rent). Yet, no mention of the fact that tenants get off scott free after 6 months but landlords will be living with the consequences for up to 30 years.[/QUOTE]

Tenants dont get off scott free - the liability is still there. What happens then is certainly arguable - evicted and blacklisted if they do not pay back the agreed rent? Will insurance cover tenants not paying rent that has been agreed, even at a lower rate?

cheers,
    Inertia

Lindsay_W likes this.
  13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Tenants dont get off scott free - the liability is still there. What happens then is certainly arguable - evicted and blacklisted if they do not pay back the agreed rent? Will insurance cover tenants not paying rent that has been agreed, even at a lower rate?

cheers,
    Inertia[/QUOTE]
    Don't think they touched him. Just demanded he pay the rent. And didn't I say that I didn't agree with the approach, just sided (potentially) with the landlords frustration?

14. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

From the article "charged with take/detaining a person in company with intent to obtain advantage and occasioning actual bodily harm".

Being frustrated is no excuse to assault someone. The same excuse is used by motorists that kill vulnerable road users.

"Siding" with this kind of behaviour does show you endorse it, and perpetuates it.

Perp likes this.
  15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Wrong.

16. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Just wow.

Do tell us about the other side of the story where its acceptable to corner someone, assault them, and force them to give you money under threat of further assault?

Because where I come from that's literally the serious criminal charge of robbery and I hope the charges get upgraded to that if it turns out that's the case.

17. Tillengka

Tillengka Well-Known Member

I think OP is just trolling and having fun. No one could be this irresponsible and lazy. Lets focus on better posts where people genuinely need help.

Joynz and Lindsay_W like this.
  18. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

How do you know that the tenant didn't threaten the LL in some way, just because the media didn't report it, it doesn't mean it didn't happen. A friend of mine just had his house smashed to pieces after the Tenants were given an eviction notice because they tried to falsify an affected by Covid claim and got caught out.

luckyone likes this.
  19. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

It really says a lot about you that your first reaction to reading about this serious criminal offence is to reach for the possibility that maybe the tenant deserved it. Without even any hint or indication of it either.

But sure, we can't prove it didn't happen right?

Yeah, even with whatever it is you suggest *might* have happened, its still not okay. Bail was refused at first instance for a reason - this isn't a minor offence.

Perp and Mat like this.
  20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

What would be helpful is knowing WHY he did it - was it anger management issues, a few screws loose or a long history behind the actions that haven't been reported because 99.99% of landlords would NOT do what this guy did, me included.

Antoni0 likes this.