Tenant pool - Main residence + Associated unit - North Brisbane

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Tim & Chrissy, 29th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Associated units can only be leased to a family member of the tenant in the main residence.

Does anyone have experience in dwellings with an associated unit and finding tenants for them?

2. Tim & Chrissy

@Xenia @D.T. any ideas? Come across many tenants looking for this type of setup?

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Generally they are rented as one lease and they put a family member in the granny flat - that might be a child living at home or grandparent aged parents.

Or they themselves sublet it out to long lost cousin *cough* Nora.

wylie likes this.
  4. Tim & Chrissy

That was my concern. A place I'm looking at has a decent return now (they actually are related) but if those tenants leave in the future and I can't re-lease it on two leases the return could go under 5%

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

These peeps are Adelaide based though....

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Nov, 2016
  6. Tim & Chrissy

Feel free to tag some Brissie managers for me :) I don't know any other PM's on the forum. Im assuming it's rare to get this type of tenant

7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

@DiligentPM is Brisbane based.

In Adelaide you can rent out main residence and associated unit separately if you discount the rent of the main and disclose that the unit will be let out.

They can be managed as 2 separate tenancies.

Or you can load the main residence rent and include the unit as theirs to use or sublet.

Tim & Chrissy likes this.
  8. Tim & Chrissy

Thanks Xenia.

I put a question up about it in the Development section (changing from associated unit to dual occupancy) however after countless hours digging I found out the rules will change on 1st February and non-related tennants will be allowed :D

Westminster, Gockie and Xenia like this.
  9. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

That's good news, would it need to be under rooming house agreement or something similar?

10. Gockie

Ahhh... do you have a link?

11. Tim & Chrissy

The information on this page will be updated for the commencement of the MBRC Planning Scheme on 1 February 2016. The following information is provided as guidance to the adopted planning scheme.

MBRC Planning Scheme - Secondary dwelling

The State Government defines a Secondary dwelling as part of a dwelling house. A secondary dwelling is used in conjunction with, and is subordinate to, a dwelling house on the same lot. The term replaces ‘dependent person’s accommodation’, ‘associated unit’ and ‘relative’s accommodation’ used in the Caboolture, Pine Rivers and Redcliffe planning schemes.

A Secondary dwelling may be free standing or constructed under or attached to a Dwelling house. It must:

• be substantially smaller in size to the main house on the property (maximum GFA of 45m2, 55m2 or 100m2, depending on the zone and precinct);
    • be on the same lot as the main house. It cannot be subdivided or community titled at a later date; and
    • retain a relationship and association with the main house, with the two households making common provision for essentials for living (e.g. the sharing of utility bills, such as electricity and water).
    Note: The secondary dwelling can be separately leased from the primary dwelling.

Gockie likes this.
  12. Tim & Chrissy

Not as far as I can see. Just posted the info above in response to Gockie.

13. Gockie

That's excellent news. Well done for finding it! :)

14. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

I have a house south side bris, 2 story I turned into separate upstairs and down stairs plus there is a granny flat and a pool in the middle! All good so far, it is very close to the main shopping centre in my area and the block is huge (heaps of space and parking). Requires careful selection of tenants I think, I self manage that one.

How big is your block and is parking an issue?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia