Tenant offering to paint

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Mill, 25th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

Hi All,

My PM has forwarded me a request from my tenant offering to paint the house if I supply the paint.

On the surface this seems like a good deal. Get the house painted for material cost only (no labour).

But I am trying to think of all the worst case scenarios that could happen. I.e poor quality work, injury while working etc

Has anyone had a similar situation before or any insight into the legalities?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Here are some reasons...

Image 25-1-21 at 4.39 pm.jpg Image 25-1-21 at 4.39 pm (1).jpg Image 25-1-21 at 4.39 pm.jpg

punti, Mulianto, Tom Rivera and 2 others like this.
  3. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I agree with @wylie, don't !!!!!!!!

4. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Is your tenant a professional painter?
    If so then go for it!
    If not Specify exactly what preparation must be completed.
    Get your agreement in writing , with a start/ finish date,
    Check colours are in fashion /in demand prior to starting.
    1. Wash down wall with sugar soap.
    2. Rinse with fresh water.
    3. light sand.
    4. Dust.
    5. paint 2 coats if the same colour as existing, if not bleed sealer, undercoat etc.
    Painting properly is a much bigger job than the general public realise...
    Having just paid a fortune to rectify a shoddy job.:confused:

I hope this helps

Tom Rivera, AxeLy, Stoffo and 2 others like this.
  5. Patrico1966

Patrico1966 Well-Known Member

Generally not a good idea. I dont like my tenants doing anything of that nature.

6. unicorntears

unicorntears Well-Known Member

Most people underestimate the prep and precision that goes into painting and do a hack job of it.

AxeLy, wylie and SeafordSunshine like this.
  7. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

I’ve seen some pretty poor work out of qualified persons, can only imagine the **** show of a tenant doing it.
    Not even sure what their motivation would be, either they rented it in that condition knowing what it’s liks or they have been in a long time say 7-10 plus years since the last repaint and in that case it’s due to be done awayway

8. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

I tend to only get these offers on houses that REALLY need to be painted, in which case we'll carefully set out the terms of the agreement stating that the job must be to a professional standard, you agree on an appropriate colour scheme and they'll be liable for any damage (e.g. paint on carpet). I get them to do one room first to show me that their cutting in is much better than mine (I can't paint to save my life) and then give go ahead for the rest.

If the paint is at all reasonable, you probably wouldn't want to risk letting someone amateur hack at it- but in every case I've had tenants do it, they've significantly improved the presentation of the home.

craigc and housechopper2 like this.
  9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

There is no need to sand before painting a previously painted wall - unless you have filled any cracks or hollows and need to feather the edges. Or the wall has lots of flaky paint.

The sugar soap prepares the surface well enough for paint to adhere, without sanding.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  10. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Then the only reason to paint would be to change color.

I always sand, I have yet to come across (or do) the perfect wall, there is almost always some form of damage, imperfection in the original base, debris in the paint applied, texture to the existing paint.

The toilet/bathroom has to be perfect, if it isn't people will notice when they're sitting around :oops:

11. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feedback all.

I would be selecting the paint colour. To be honest I haven't been to the house in a while so I don't know if the house is in desperate need for a paint or if the tenants just want a refresh. The house is only 14yrs old so I wouldn't guess its too bad.

I've painted in a few of my other reno's so I'm familiar with the process but not naive enough to think I'm anywhere near a professional.

My initial thoughts were pretty pessimistic. I think if I do go down this path I would need to see the quality of 1 bedroom completed before I could agree to do the rest of the house.

They're good tenants but I'm having flashes of painted over light switches & paint droplets on the carpet/tiles...

Tom Rivera likes this.
  12. wylie

I always do a light sand on walls too. But I've not painted for a few years now. Our tenant is painting our house for us as I type, but he is a painter. ;)

SeafordSunshine and Stoffo like this.
  13. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

This. I just bought a place that the previous owner spent $8k painting. She must have told the painters she was only painting to sell it, so they just rushed it knowing she'd never be around to see if it would hold up. I'm now going through the painful job of scraping it all off because they didn't use a primer. 30% of it just peels right off like glad wrap. The other 70% is going to take some serious elbow grease. Not fun.

Tom Rivera likes this.
  14. wylie

I've painted more houses than I care to remember over the past 45 years (small whip through between tenants and whole inside walls, ceilings, trim). I got pretty good at it.

Two memories I have reading this...

1. Needing to get a house painted with just a few days between tenants. There were maybe six of us, three rolling, three cutting in. Smallish post-war house, plaster walls and ceilings, gloss trim. We painted first coat in the morning, second coat after lunch. Whole house was done in one day with trims taking a bit longer.

2. First house hubby bought had been painted externally in one day. Neighbours told us this when we met them, whilst we were trying to work out why we couldn't open some windows or turn on some lights. It was an old Queenslander and they'd painted the windows shut and painted over the old timber block and bakelite light switches.

We had to use a Stanley knife to cut through the painted shut windows, and cut through the paint to turn the light switch on or off.

15. wylie

Also remembering hubby's mother (probably aged 88 at the time) painted her ceiling, moved the piano (on wheels thankfully) to the middle of the room.

She'd ask if we had some white paint. Hubby gave her some external house paint, having no idea what she wanted with it. He thought she was painting on canvas, artworks.

She used it on the ceilings of her house, brushed them, no roller. I've no idea what she stood on and she didn't let us know until she'd finished.

It looks like she painted it with a broom. But she's very happy with the job. :eek:

Another time he took over paving paint, one tin oil based and one tin water based, different colours. She wanted whatever we had. He said he'd be there at 10am next day to paint.

At 10am next day she'd painted oil based in one corner of a downstairs area off the garage, water based a few metres away, different colours, oil and water. Hubby had to fix that little problem without resorting to throttling her.