Tenant not watering garden

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by John Faughner, 27th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. John Faughner

John Faughner Member

got a letter from council recently as someone had complained that the gardens were ‘unsightly’. Went out there and grass was knee high. Have cut it way back now but garden looks parched. Tenant is not actually in house but is still paying rent. Tenant is supposed to maintain gardens but obviously is not interested. What can I do about getting lawns watered? I don’t really want the lawn to die. But if I water lawn the tenant may refuse to pay water bill as they haven’t given permission for me to use water? Also does anyone know a good paver/landscaper in northern suburbs of Adelaide? Am also looking for a good gardener

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

If a tenant breaches a tenacy agreement then a breach notice should be issued correctly.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've never asked a tenant to water a garden. But we also don't have "gardens" as such. Just grass, shrubs etc.

I guess it is a double edged sword. Ask them to water but then ask them to pay for the water.

Perhaps in future, you can set up a watering system (will be expensive) and know how much water that will use by time and take the water off the total water bill?

I don't know if that would work, but I don't think you can have it both ways.

4. Perthguy

If it's in the tenancy agreement that they have to water the garden then that's what they have to do or rent another property. Why rent a house with a nice garden then kill it?

hematite likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Fair enough. But I can understand a tenant not wanting to pay for water to keep someone else's garden green. And it sounds like he isn't even there.

I don't know the answer. But I reckon many tenants would think the landlord should be paying for the water for the garden if he has a certain standard he wants to keep.

balwoges likes this.
  6. Perthguy

Depends if you have the discussion up front and put it in the tenancy agreement. There are a lot of houses without demanding gardens. Tenant's choice if they want a nice garden they need to water it.

hematite likes this.
  7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I think you will find that “maintaining gardens” is open to interpretation. And, even with the best maintenance, plants die. None live forever.

If you have just cut long grass, then the lawn remaining will look brown as you have cut off all the green ends.

If you want the garden maintained to your standard, best to include it in the rent and organise it yourself.
    Marg

craigc, qak and wylie like this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I think the Council will care about long grass (vermin) but not so much about flower beds and neat pathways. Now that the grass has been mown, phone council tomorrow and ask them if there is anything else they require. Are there dead branches overhanging the footpath? Maybe cut back any shrubs/trees and remove these cuttings, and then forget about it until it is time to mow again.

I wouldn't be bothered with brown lawn, it's normal in the dry season. It will grow back again in the wet season.

Marg4000 and wylie like this.
  9. hematite

hematite Well-Known Member

Tenants are required to maintain the garden if it is noted in the tenancy agreement. They are required to weed and water. Also if there are ants in the pavers etc, they are required to kill them to prevent any undermining of pavers. This is in WA, I am unsure about other states.

Lawn is hard to maintain in WA unless you take an active interest. I set up a proper relic system for my tenant and the expectation is for them to use it. They do need a reminder when it hits summer.

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

And, to be fair, drought conditions often bring restrictions on watering gardens or lawns. This would override any clause regarding watering that you may put in the lease.

And in heatwaves, plants can wilt or even die despite best efforts.
    Marg