Tenant not vacating property

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Seb_W, 22nd Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Seb_W

Seb_W Active Member

If a tenant has not vacated a property (NSW) on settlement, and a Notice to Complete has been issued to the seller. If the contract is rescinded by the buyer is the full deposit refundable to the buyer?

Last edited: 22nd Oct, 2020
  2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Notice to complete would be to make the seller complete the contract.

refunding the the deposit would mean cancelling the contract.

cant have both.

3. Seb_W

Seb_W Active Member

Yes, question was in the context of the contract being cancelled by the buyer

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

More context req'd

So you have agreed to purchase a property with Vacant possession ?

The day prior to settlement you arrange an inspection only to find the tenant still occupying ?

So you have given notice to the Vendor to complete the contract (aka you are refusing to complete as the vacant possession part of the contract hasn't been complied with) !

This isn't an automatic cause to rescind the contract, it is not the fault of the vendor that the tenant has failed to vacate as per notice, eviction steps and process takes time to be legally effective, so you may just have to wait....

Unless both parties agree to cancel the contract.

Seb_W likes this.
  5. Seb_W

Seb_W Active Member

Yes, purchased as vacant possession. Tenant still occupying the property at settlement and after notice was issued

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

If it's vacant possession, you don't settle until the tenant moves out. Once you've settled with the tenant in place it becomes your problem.

Stoffo likes this.
  7. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

So you haven't settled and have issued notice to complete to the vendor, was there a timeline discussed on this with a new settlement date ?

Was there some error on the vendor's part as to why the tenant hadn't vacated, or are they a difficult tenant ?

Is the purchase still a good deal, or is this your opportunity to bail out at no cost to buy something else ?

If the tenant is being difficult I wouldn't settle with them in place either !
    If it is an error on the vendor's part then maybe (based on rental history checks).
    If the market has fallen and you can get a better deal elsewhere, then if the tenant isn't gone by the next settlement date I'd issue notice to cancel contract due to failure by the vendor to complete (with refund of all monies/deposit paid)....

Let us know how this works out ;)

Seb_W likes this.
  8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but I read this as he has settled and the tenant is still there. I'm a little confused.

9. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

The Notice to Complete is to make the seller settle under the terms of the contract. So the property hasn't settled yet.

Seb_W likes this.
  10. Seb_W

Seb_W Active Member

Let me be a little more clear! :)

The property didnt settle as the tenant had not vacated the property. At the pre settlement inspection there appeared to be no effort at all to vacate the property. The vendor seems disorganised and wouldnt be surprised if they hadnt issued the notice to their tenant

We have issued the Notice to Complete with a 2 week extension of settlement date. So just waiting for that period to elapse now

Certainly not a tenant I was keen to retain given they were in arrears

Ill will let you know how I go

mitsui, Sheshop and Stoffo like this.