Tenant left mess, damage and property

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Burramys, 11th May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

A tenant in a Victorian property has departed for parts unknown, leaving, among other things, two fridges, two beds, three couches, a small amount of food in the pantry, broken blinds, broken curtain, and a broken window. Just an average end of lease experience. The cleaning and repairs will be covered by the bond and insurance. The assessor says that the broken window is an OC matter. My recollection is that windows for individual units are the responsibility of the LL.

The Consumer Affairs Booklet says that if property is left then the LL requests the tenant to collect them. No can do - address unknown. CAV says that CAV inspection may be sought to advise on what to do with the goods. There's nothing of much value left, although items can still be used. (I was hoping for a stash of folding money. Nothing yet.) The fridges work and the furniture is battered but quite okay. I don't see any point keeping furniture that can be obtained from a hard rubbish collection in storage pending the return of the tenant.

At present I'm thinking of checking everything with the PM, keeping anything small and valuable, and having the rest removed so the walls, floor, ceiling, cupboards and the rest can be fixed. Views on this would be valued.

The good part is that as most walls have holes that need patching, nearly every room gets a new coat of paint.

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Does your insurance policy have an excess?

Sackie likes this.
  3. Burramys

There's an excess.

4. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

If it were me I would photograph everything and then advertise it for what you think it might be worth on gumtree to get rid of it quickly. For example a 2nd hand fridge is probably only worth $100-200 depending on condition.

If the ex tenant ever went to court to claim from you, it would be easy to show the sale costs were less than the costs of removal and storage ......

Barcelona likes this.
  5. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Another thought based on what I have done in the past.

I contacted the relatives/friends of an otherwise uncontactable tenant (using the info from their initial application form).

Knowing the goods were going to be disposed of, they arranged to collect all items taking the problem from my hands. This included 2 cats left at the property! Unknown to me, the tenant had been incarcerated (jailed) so wasn't contactable nor could deal with matters, however, I had made best efforts to deal with the items.

The ex tenant did contact me months later and I clearly advised them what happened with their property.

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

In Vic, aren't you req'd to store the belongings for 3 months ?

7. Burramys

Thanks. This Goods left behind by renters details what happens to goods left behind. The cost of storage exceeds the value of the goods, and the former tenant cannot be contacted.

One problem with advertising the goods is that clear access is needed soon so that the tradies can get in. Freecycle is an option for a faster removal; I like to see things go to a home rather than being landfill.

I've taken over 100 pictures to show what was left and for insurance. There are no personal documents, although I'm going to carefully check all the items left. I'm going to ask the PM what to do; your advice is most helpful in this regard.

The insurer says that the broken window is an OC matter. Is this correct?

8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

This is absolutely laughable. Seriously some of the laws we have are totally bogus and pushing landlords beyond their limits.

Let more LL sell up and see what happens then.
    Screenshot_20220512-063023_Chrome.jpg

craigc and Barcelona like this.
  9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Sheesh! It says sell or get rid of goods. Sorry, your honour, I got rid of them. I got no financial gain, only costs.

10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Been down this road

Tenant left everything including childrens photos etc

After paying for storage etc it all went to landfill at my cost

Tom Rivera likes this.
  11. Burramys

A LL should keep small and valuable items. I draw the line at a double bed and couches. A few minutes ago I was advised that the walls are not covered by the LL insurance - the walls are an OC matter. Is this correct, or is it the insurer attempting to minimise their costs?

The policy covers
    "Malicious acts and vandalism by tenants or their guests".
    "internal blinds and curtains"

The policy does not cover
    " any building or part of a building which is legally part of a strata title building according to the applicable strata laws in your state or territory"
    "any carpets, rugs, blinds, drapes or curtains"

12. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

Assuming this is internal plaster walls, this doesn’t sound like OC responsibility.

Check with your OC but I understand finishes at external walls.
    Were you clear which walls to Insurance coy?

13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not sure how the system works in Victoria-- when you look at the positive side just about everything covered --The insurance will organise all the trades and most policies have a 52 week's rental loss so the only problem area is the storage of the former tenant possessions from my small experiences as that's where you have to be very careful as in storage costs per cubic metre will be costly ..good luck..

14. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

You probably just need strata to confirm that the windows and internal walls are not their responsibility.