Tenant leaving car wrecks in vacant lot next to rental

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Turbo_C, 4th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Turbo_C

Turbo_C Well-Known Member

And the managers keep coming up with excuses why they can't do anything. They claim the council will do nothing because the car wrecks have been left in a vacant lot and they have no number plates on them.

They consistently back up the tenants, who claim its not theirs. However it's the exact same make and model as the one in the drive. I have had sales agents drive down the street and they say the street is actually quite well kept, until you get to my rental down the end and the place is a compete mess.

Seems to me like the agents have failed in their duty of care to inform me my tenants are not keeping the rental in a acceptable condition. All this information I have learned through third parties attending the property. I live out of state.

I intend to sell the place but based on the tenants prior performance at showing through contractors I've decided to vacate the tenants clean up the property and sell it vacant.

Not sure what others would do here but I'm considering getting someone to photo the VIN plate on the car to prove its previous registered owner is in fact my tenants and then simply using that evidence to claim bond funds to pay to have the wreck removed

Your thoughts are most definitely appreciated

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Much as this is frustrating for you, and I feel for you, the vacant lot is not something you have any control over.

Can you get in touch with the owner of the vacant lot and see if they will lodge some sort of abandoned vehicle complaint? We once had someone (friend of the tenant) leave their car in the street in front of our IP. Tenant was not able to get in touch with the owner who'd gone overseas indefinitely. We had to go through the process of reporting it to the police and then wait out a certain period.

But this was on the street, and your problem is a vacant lot next door to your IP, so maybe council has no say over the abandoned vehicle. But someone must be able to help you in this (council, owner of the vacant lot or police).

legallyblonde likes this.
  3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I would probably ignore it until it actually becomes an issue.

i.e. Just before you market the property for sale.

legallyblonde and wylie like this.
  4. Handyandy

Handyandy Well-Known Member

You might find that the wreck goes when the tenant goes.

The vacant lot is in fact not your concern as it's out of your control. Anything you do may in fact make you liable for the dumping of the wreck. At the moment it's the tenant who is responsible.

Complain to the council and they will only send a notice to the owner of the lot. It should then be between the lot owner and your tenant.

The owner of the lot should have had a front fence to ensure the security of the lot against wayward dumpers.

legallyblonde likes this.
  5. Turbo_C

Apologies, it's not a vacant lot, it's a thorough fare, I will have a look on the council maps but my guess is open space park land, council land. I intend to market the place for sale soon, for a sale date in July. These tenants are going to be a problem, I'll call the rental board, police and council this week to get to the bottom of this and find a solution, even though that's what I pay the managers to do. You shouldn't be allowed to dump cars on the sidewalk next to your house and get away with it. The neighbors have already complained once about the noise and excessive vehicles parked at my property,council contacted me direct to convey the complaints. I had the managers look into it and they came back with excuses and praises for the tenant, which I believed at the time.

6. thatbum

...so you're just ignoring the advice you got in his thread???

7. Turbo_C

Actually the opposite, others here have advised me to take action, you yourself have said to worry about it when it comes time to market it. That time is now, if I leave it until after the tenants vacate I have fewer options to recover the costs associated with the removal, what would you actually do, ignore it and hope for the best?

8. thatbum

That's exactly what I would do, right up until I had to prep for sale.

I don't get why you think you can recover the costs associated with its removal from the tenants - there are so many issues with that, I generally wouldn't even try.

9. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

When the council contacted you what was their plan to fix the problem,because the Police and the local Council have unlimited power --or just say too your PM either fix the problem or i ring the media and see if the crying game nightly tv shows will be interested in my problem as social media is a dangerous animal..

10. Turbo_C

I just called up council and initiated a service request to have the tenants remove the unregistered car. Property managers said there is nothing council could do.. Why am I even paying these managers? Police can issue a fine for parking an unregistered vehicle. Seems pretty straight forward, let's see if the system works. I have my doubts.

11. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Get a couple of maoris to pick up the car and put it on the street. Council will get rid of it quickly.

Alternatively let the tenant know that scrap metal people will come pick up the car and give them money for it. Everyone likes free money

12. Turbo_C

Aha! Fiverr.com to the rescue. These are the tips Im was looking for, much appreciated

13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If the block is private land, it is the owners problem. Contact the owner.

If on council land, councils problem, if it makes it's way to the road, it will get removed eventually if people complain, call the cops too as is probably stolen.

Look on google, see if there is an old shot showing the car at your house previously.

I am with you, we had a rental where the pigs started putting crap out the front, cars everywhere, half pulled apart, called the PM and they were right onto it and still drive past to do checks.

Your PM sounds like they know these people, this happens in smaller towns.

I do not like my rentals looking like pig styes & dragging value down, also not nice for neighbors, so dump these bums and the PM for doing nothing and what seems obviously looking out for the tenant. :)

14. SueA

SueA Well-Known Member

Get someone to ring council and tell them they saw kids playing on top of the roof and you are extremely concerned that they will fall off or through the windscreen of an abandoned car in the park. We have an energex box on the sidestreet to one of ours and they won't come and clean it up, when I am at the house I clean it up and put the grass and crap on the footpath , I then call them and tell them they need to clean up before someone trips over it. They always do.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  15. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

You have your tenants name, call the scrap guys from a private number, say you are "joe blogs" and you want your old wreck gone :D
    Its up the side next door :p
    Problem solved

16. Turbo_C

Thanks dabbler, I think you're right, the amount of praise the PM's are giving the tenants doesn't add up with what everyone else says that attends the property, somethings not right here, and it is a small town. I've decided to move management rights over to a new agent, to handle the vacate, this should insure an unbiased exit.

@Stoffo thanks mate thats genius I'll give that a go.