VIC Tenant keeping a dog out notification to owner or PM

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by JingyunBo, 3rd May, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

What tenants need to realize is that when they get a pet without first obtaining the owner's permission, and then the agent and/or the owner find out, the trust between the tenant and the owner/agent is broken.

Over the last few months I have heard several of my colleagues find out from owners, neighbours and even tradespeople attending for repairs, that a tenant has an unapproved pet. It's at that point that the 'Trust Train' has fallen off the tracks and then these tenants wonder why they get poor tenancy references when they are looking for new rental premises.

Last year I managed a property where the tenant flat out denied that she had a pet when I put it to her. I learned that the tenant had a pet from another tenant who lived in a flat above the garage of the first tenant.

The lady in the flat was a hospital nurse and was often woken up by the yapping dog.

The tenant in the flat then sent me videos of the dog barking in the garage and also some photos of the dog on the rear porch of the house.

When I forwarded the videos and photos to the tenant, the silence was DEAFENING.

Last edited: 26th May, 2022
    Tom Rivera, craigc and Antoni0 like this.
  2. Antoni0

Antoni0 Well-Known Member

Well said.

In the end, whether people like it or not the LL or PM will just make a legal excuse to evict the tenant, the pet issue just becomes the last straw on the camel's back. Then the tenant ends up in a pool of 300 or so people applying for one rental.