Tenant incentives to vacate

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by PFrankyX, 1st Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PFrankyX

PFrankyX Member

I am preparing a house for sale that is currently tenanted under a fixed term lease, however given the seller opportunities in Sydney at the moment with limited stock available on the market, I'd be keen to explore vacating the home to present for greater value opportunities under 'agreed circumstances'.

They're great tenants and I do feel bad, plus I'm not evicting them and they don't have to leave; however I'd be keen to hear of other incentives that have been put forward and accepted by tenants to vacate a property earlier than the lease expiry to ensure they're not impacted to greatly.

Throw all suggestions at me... rent free periods (how long), cash payment (how much), moving costs contribution or something else?

2. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Sell to tenant! Win Win !

3. PFrankyX

PFrankyX Member

Yep, tried that. Would've been a perfect scenario.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We offered a tenant (lawyer) who we knew was happy to move anyway due to changes in his own circumstances, that his final four weeks would be rent free if he worked with us, kept a tidy house and allowed inspections. Win/win.

We documented this and it worked beautifully for us both.

Our friends accepted some tenants who’d been given $10k to vacate a property they’d been renting to enable vacant possession and sale. This was about ten years ago.

Antoni0 and Jacque like this.
  5. CheckMate

CheckMate Well-Known Member

I've been in a similar situation.
    Started this thread, maybe you can find some useful info there:

Selling tenanted house

PFrankyX likes this.
  6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I offered two weeks rent waiver as recognition of the tenant assistance once the sale was settled. It also meant that the rent wasnt in advance on the day it settled and was square. Otherwise I would have had to pay that to the new owner. So it worked out being no true impact :). I basically had repaid what they were inadvance. I still wonder if they had to then catch up again

7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I've seen big payments of $10k and $15k for tenants to give up the rest of their fixed terms before. Sounds like a lot but probably worth it to the owners in terms of getting better selling prices.

8. PFrankyX

PFrankyX Member

You're probably right, we would no doubt get this covered well and truly if we can stage the house properly, but would need to be subject to a certain sale price etc, or could even offer a % of the sale price.

9. Yamas

Yamas Active Member

Had a similar situation. I purchased a property with a tenancy (6 months outstanding) which I wanted to move into.
    I was aware that my tenant had lost some work hours with COVID and that they might appreciate the opportunity to move elsewhere to take advantage of cheaper rents. They could probably rent a comparable for about 100-150/week cheaper than what they were paying me.
    I simply offered the tenant the option to terminate early without penalty, 2 weeks later, they were gone.

PFrankyX likes this.
  10. rizzle

rizzle Well-Known Member

When I bought my PPOR apartment (with an existing tenant contract - maybe 6 mo. left), I was very surprised when they agreed to move out within four weeks for what equated to 3 weeks worth of rent $.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.