Tenant in Lease Break Situation

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by ecapanc, 18th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ecapanc

ecapanc New Member

Hello all member,
    Can you please advise me on this situation? I am very stressed now.
    I have given written notice of 5 weeks (4 weeks as per contract) for intent to vacate the property and advised to corporate with them in order to secure new tenants.
    I have started marketing well before giving formal notice.
    But the estate agent is not helping me in this situation. I have given few applications to them but they are rejecting them with some kind of issues but they are not transparent with me what are the issues for rejecting the applications. Now they keep asking me to pay the rent, not returning the bond etc.
    We have vacant the property, hand over the keys, done end of the lease cleaning etc.
    Also, they advised me the go through them to find the new tenant and pay advertisement fees and lease break fees. I have paid for them too.
    Now, I don't understand what to do in this situation.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I presume you're the vacating tenant in this situation.

If you don't think the lessor/REA is taking reasonable steps to find a replacement tenant, then you should stop paying "rent" for now, and get some tenancy advice from an appropriate service like Tenants Victoria.

It might be that you don't owe any further break lease liability after your vacate date. But it also might be that you do, so you should keep the money handy if possible.

wylie likes this.
  3. ecapanc

ecapanc New Member

Yes, you are right. I have vacated the property. Thank you for your advice. I will to Tanants Vic.