Tenant did a runner and left all his possessions.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by JustSomebody, 18th Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They'd heard it came with free power & hydro oops water.

datto and Michael Mitchell like this.
  2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

That is why I love QLD too.....just see your local lads chapter and give eviction orders, but get the first part right, you kick in and breach the door :)

3. dabbler

I think @datto can speak with authority and give advice on that one...

Something like it is 100% ok for you to seize and sell the results, no strict LL regs to follow on that one.....or, alternatively, if inclined, enjoy the spoils yourself....

You can even encourage them to fill out a police report if they come back :)

Ted Varrick and datto like this.
  4. dabbler

datto likes this.
  5. dabbler

datto likes this.
  6. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

After following correct process many times I have found the court system to be broken and even if you do win the costs dont make it worthwhile. I think it is much better to be the person defending in court rather than the one taking the action. As I said, after contacting the family member to confirm the tenant has no intention of returning, following correct process is pointless expense that will just further add to your existing losses. That is just my approach and I understand that one day it may cost me but I am happy with that.

TMNT, Michael Mitchell and Terry_w like this.
  7. dabbler

I think that is different, you have had contact.....I have done similar when I was given tenants intentions.

But acting within a week with no contact, I think is asking for it even if defending. I am not scared of doing what I need too, but sometimes you must err....such as if the tenant has been a model tenant, I can think of why this may exist for the OP, but I would not be waiting too long, nor does the law require this IMO, if they have vanished.

By the time we all put our views across, plus a hand full of days, the OP could have this solved if they follow the rules and still no contact and no rent etc.

8. JustSomebody

JustSomebody New Member

His possessions are worthless. Probably under $150. We have random people still coming to our property asking for him because he owed a bunch of people money. I assume he sold all of his valuables to go gamble. Apparently, he was a hardcore gambler. The only reason my parent allowed him to stay because his mother lived with him (assuming the mother could take care of the payments). We were able to move the car out of the driveway. He has no furniture other than his crappy bed. On top of that, he destroyed out kitchen cabinets. The only way we can make our money back is to sell his car but not to sure how.

Right now my parents are taking it as a loss. Lesson learned for being too sweet. They looked and acted like really decent people too and did not have a single problem with them for the first 6+ months but then again that's what shady people are good at. (rant) Do not let your tenants slip a single payment. If they do, take action immediately... ah wells

luckyone likes this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF