Tenant cut a hole in security door without consent

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Bigdiamond, 19th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bigdiamond

Bigdiamond Member

So the lovely renter cut a hole in my rear aluminium security door without asking me and installed a pet door. Not something I agreed to. It may be installed properly but to me it looks like garbage. I don't want to encourage renters with pets and a pet door is now just a weak point in the security door.

Weighing up asking for 1. repair cost 2. full replacement cost or 3. taking it to tribunal. I don't think these doors can even be repaired so looking like 2 or 3.

Renter thinks they did nothing wrong, so option 3 is most likely.

No idea what tribunal would award for a security door but its in great shape. Expected life of a security door is something like 27.5 years I think?

Sadly REA is tiptoeing around the matter like they want to brush it off. The advice from them is that I won't be reimbursed by tribunal for the full door if its replaced.

Thoughts anyone? (Aside from find new REA?)

2. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Fire the real estate agent. They are not acting in your best interest and don’t deserve to be paid.

Pick a decent new agent who should be able to sort this out for you. If the tenant is otherwise decent, I will aim for a compromise but you can potentially get the door replaced and kick them out for a breach of tenancy code.

3. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

I would compromise.

I love dogs! So have very high tolerance for misdemenours related to dogs.

4. Bigdiamond

Bigdiamond Member

Update: renter is open to compromise. Throw a few hundred at it and think the problem will go away. That may just cover a new door, not an install.

Who the hell rents a property and thinks they can take a saw to somebody else's property without getting permission? Entitlement, pure and simple

5. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but I think you're taking it way too personally. You shouldn't be letting yourself get worked up about it, just make sure your agent is prepared to take it to tribunal if necessary to get compensation to make good. If you're getting angry about something this small, you're probably going to blow a gasket before the year is up with the rest of what goes on in residential tenancies.

See Change likes this.
  6. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

..... if i was in lockdown i would blow gasket, would wreck dog door, and probably a good deal besides.........

Blame COVID, dust yourself off, and keep going!!

7. paulose

paulose Member

If they are long term tenants, pays rent on time - if I was in your shoes, I would let it go.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Are these people staying there? Or about to leave?

9. Bigdiamond

Bigdiamond Member

Solid advice mate. I might sound a bit angrier than I am. By the way this is childs play compared to other tenants I've had decades gone by

10. deezee

deezee Well-Known Member

Option #2. Deduct the full replacement cost from their bond when their lease expires.

Stoffo likes this.
  11. Bigdiamond

Bigdiamond Member

About to leave

12. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Definitely a job for a bond claim. Just be prepared if the tenant doesn't think it's a big deal to end up having to take it to tribunal, and VCAT has a fairly solid chance of awarding a reduced amount depending on the age of the door, the relative extent of the damage to the door, etc.

I think it's fair to point out to the tenant that by putting an ingress into a security door that it no longer functions effectively as a security door, since there's now a gap in it. That argument may help at VCAT too, but absolutely don't quote me on that.

wylie likes this.
  13. Bigdiamond

Bigdiamond Member

Can't just deduct. It has to go to tribunal. They may not award a full replacement cost

14. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Only goes to tribunal if the tenant doesn't agree to the deduction, or the bond doesn't cover it.

craigc and Tom Rivera like this.
  15. Bigdiamond

Bigdiamond Member

They've just agreed to a deduction of a few hundred. Covers the cost of a basic standard size aluminium security door. That's what we have there at the moment. Labour cost not inluded

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you lodge for deduction from the bond and tenants don't agree, don't they pay to take you to tribunal? That's how it used to be for Queensland.

If this is the case, that's what I would do, especially if it is at the front of the property, easily visible from the living area (either front or back) and if it has meant the security door no longer really functions as it should. Many dog doors are large enough to be accessed by a child.

What would you have said had they asked to install one? If that would have been "no", then what is to lose by trying to get as much back to pay for a new one.

But what happens if the next tenant asks to have one? I guess you tell them to buy and have a replacement fitted, and swapped back when they leave.

17. deezee

deezee Well-Known Member

Since your tenant is about to leave, and tribunal would take months to attend to non-urgent cases, if I were you I would take up exiting tenant's offer to compromise.

18. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Nope, other way around. Even in Queensland these days, actually.

The issue is that the tribunal could potentially replace the tenant's current offer with a worse one, plus it could take forever to get paid. The current offer on the table if it will at least replace the door means that if you can get labour for less than $150 or so to install it, maybe that's worth it just to put the matter to bed so to speak.

Phoenix Pete, deezee and wylie like this.
  19. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Good result. Deduct the agreed amount from the Bond, but don't replace the door and leave for next tenant unless they specifically request it be changed (unlikely).

deezee, Beano, wylie and 1 other person like this.
  20. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

Had similar happen, Tenants' cat got its head stuck in security screen door, they called fire brigade who cut it free, got Tenant to replace screen door as these can't/not economical to repair - $334.

upload_2021-10-19_14-20-33.png

Phoenix Pete and Terry_w like this.