Temporary Office Spaces

Discussion in 'Airbnb & Short Term Letting' started by dmb1978, 12th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

Hi, has anyone explored the short term office space renting. A bit like airbnb but for business spaces. The space can be for businesses/people to hire by the hour/day or longer.

I understand places like spacehop have set this up and a lot of hotels and office buildings offer this service but do you think there would be a market in less city centric places and for those that don't need a month at a time.

Obviously this would be run more like a business and the premises would be on-site to also offer extra catering options.

Just for something different than the normal office setting - maybe a large room with a view and some outdoor space for that next business meeting etc...

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Serviced offices?

3. dmb1978

Essentially i guess but in a residential setting!

4. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

Yeah I've looked into it. I think there's a merger in areas where people work from home but may need a temporary office for meetings

5. dmb1978

Yes agree. I am not in the corporate world but thought there may be a niche market for some office space that provides a different atmosphere for maybe team building days (that dont require activities but just need to get out of the office) etc but can also cater for a meeting or just general office space. I also like the idea of providing fresh homemade foods like pikelets, scones etc if required. As this space would have its own bathroom and kitchen there is no sharing of facilities either.

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If it was in a more residential setting then you'd need to jump through hoops with local council to get the right permits

7. dmb1978

Ok thanks. Yes this would be in a self contained flat of a house.

Plenty of houses have businesses with multiple staff running out of residential houses so will be interesting to see what the requirements are.

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Coworking spaces can fill this need to some extent. It's possible to rent a space for 1 to 5 days a week - this typically gives you access to meeting spaces, fast internet and recreational space. I worked in a coworking space 3 days a week in Canberra for a year, and 5 days a week for 3 months in Colombia. It's ideal especially for startups.