Temp visa holders wants welfare, PM tells them to go home.

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by np999, 3rd Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

Indonesian student: "We pay tax, we contribute to the society, we deserve better"
    https://www.smh.com.au/business/wor...sen-public-health-crisis-20200331-p54ft8.html

Go home, Morrison tells international visitors:
    https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fed...s-international-visitors-20200403-p54gu2.html

ScoMo has mishandled this virus crisis for some time, but today I'm glad to see his clear-cut, no-nonsense reply "At this time, Australia must focus on its citizens and its residents to ensure we can maximise the economic supports that we have".

Personally, I'm totally against the notion of using taxpayer money to protect overseas students, backpackers, working holiday visa holders etc.

However, depending on how things play out, this can potentially lead to a (mass?) exodus that can put downward pressure on rents, stretch the balance sheets of property investors and depress home prices. The only question is the magnitude and duration of this slump.

My guess is that winners could be first time home buyers who can look forward to getting into the property market at lower prices & interest rates, or renters who can choose to live in a better suburb at lower rents. Of course, this assumes they still have a secure income.

gman65 likes this.
  2. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

I see big pain for the built to rent towers of small 1 & 2 bedders. Might be an opportunity for first home buyers to get into the market and in a decent location but not sure it is the stock they are after.

Some opportunities for investors I would say as we will likely see some changes to encourage mass immigration back into the country when this is all over

3. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Temporary residents can complain of how bad they believe the Australian government treats them but they will try to stay in the country and Australia I believe will be an attractive location for many people moving forward

Last edited by a moderator: 4th Apr, 2020
  4. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Just read the article - aren't international students meant to be able to support themselves without a job (and a visa condition). I thought the 20 hours a week was more as pocket money to spend on luxuries.

np999, Someguy and gman65 like this.
  5. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Agree with PM. Unless your a citizen or permanent resident or have skills we need, time to exit to your home countries. All economic aid/resources etc should be focused on Australians only.

Toon, The_Billy, Marg4000 and 2 others like this.
  7. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Unless you are working in grocery or healthcare sector, every other sector has been hit in a big way. Dont think there will be many winners.

8. The Grinch

The Grinch Well-Known Member

Studying abroad is a luxury. Our government does not owe these students anything. They should return home and seek welfare in their own countries.

np999 and Traveller99 like this.
  9. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

In many countries its considered necessary if you want to work for many businesses, its the ability to speak a second language.
    To do that effectively you have to go and live in a host country and generally be forced to speak the language in a day to day business.
    In most European countries if you can only speak one language, you are almost considered illiterate.
    Most good paying jobs expect that you can speak a second language.
    That way an office can deal with clients that come from multiple countries.
    For years thats why London was a financial hub because most dumb Americans cannot speak a second or third language .
    Asia is no different , many in business are expected to fluently speak at least one foreign language , English is the preferred.
    They should be refunded all their money if they are all sent back , or they will simply stop coming to Australia for educational purposes next year, whick is about 130,000 per year, and keeps our universities afloat.

Last edited: 4th Apr, 2020
    Gypsyblood likes this.
  10. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

When this is all done and dusted Australian will have a massive pile of debt to pay off.
    The worst thing we can do is completely destroy our reputation as a destination for overseas students.
    Its about no 4 or 5 on Aussie trade and services, about 50% of what Iron ore brings in , but more than gold , gas and personel travel.
    There will be a lot less demand for wealthy overseas families to buy or rent apartments for their children if they are not coming here to study.

11. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Intl students make up a substantially large portion of our export dollars.
    Given we dont have much else (othrr than raw commodities) that the world wants, it would be good if Scomo paid them to keep them in the country and spend once this is over.
    Also another poster indicated how it may set a bad precedent in the future by not doing so. I would likely agree with this. At the other end of this, we need to be able to send a clear message on this to intl student money- come here...dont go elsewhere such as Canada, us, UK etc. Look no further than Aus.
    this sector is too important to the export profile (which is lean to begin with).
    I understand why Scomo is not doing so..they are not citizens after all..and of course they have no voting power so it makes no sense politically. But like most/almost all politicians, not doing so is a myopic and short term view.

12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I've heard this argument a few times.

Now is not the time to be worrying about our reputation with overseas students. This is a global health crisis which has turned into a financial crisis as well. This is not business as usual.

If they can do their studies online, they can do them from their home country just as well. The universities need to adapt to this new reality.

Foreign students are not Australia's responsibility to care for financially and if they cannot afford to support themselves while in Australia, then they should leave until it is safe for them to come back and they can afford to do so.

I know this is a harsh position - but I think it is only fair right now. Our citizens and permanent residents have to come first - they are our responsibility, and guests should go home until it is safe to return.

np999, marty998, The_Billy and 3 others like this.
  13. berten

berten Well-Known Member

Would these wealthy overseas family's be that repelled by the notion we don't offer welfare to non-citizens? I can't imagine Australia being any less desirable than the U.S or U.K once the coranvirus passes.

np999, Toon and Simon Hampel like this.
  14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A good host tells their guests when they should leave (even if they can't take the hint).

The Grinch likes this.
  15. Traveller99

Traveller99 Well-Known Member

I live OS and expect nothing from the government here. If I lose my job and cannot find another one, I will return home, not demand money. Welfare should be reserved for citizens.

np999, Sackie, TMNT and 5 others like this.
  16. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I would probably agree , if we're not for the fact that its the third largest export market we have. I'd think we would do everything in our power to protect such a large export market.
    Of course if were much lower doen the list (like it is in other oecd peers), then yes it wouldn't carry the kind of influence .

Stoffo likes this.
  17. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

How do you do that when your mate ''Datto'' is sitting on the deck next to a full ice cold eski..

datto likes this.
  18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

But could you get home? Our Australian nephew, married to a German wife with their two kids, stuck here when their flights home were cancelled, are finally flying home tomorrow, I believe with the help of the German government. I don't know details.

19. The Grinch

The Grinch Well-Known Member

Again, This is a luxury. No country owes residents of another country anything. They are supposed to be able to support themselves whilst here. If they are unable to do so then they should apply for welfare from their own countries.

np999 likes this.
  20. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member