Technology & Social Media Temp Files

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by datto, 2nd Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. datto

datto Well-Known Member

My internet has been running like a dog with a crook leg for quite a while. Slowly but steadily it was getting worse.

I rang my ISP many times and told them off for their slack internet lol......"ooh I'm sorry Mr Datto, but there is no issue from our side", they would say in their accent.

And then after hours on a sick internet I kept reading about clearing the temp files as a solution to make your computer go faster. Well I did that and what a difference it makes.

Pages now down load like magic. But I'm worried about any "side effect" this may have eg losing important files?

Perthguy likes this.
  2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Rasps and files are in very common use in the Druie due to the high incarceration rate. Many of them get baked into cakes. Putting them into the oven makes them temperature rasps and files, but this is too much of aa mouthful for the incarcerated druids so they are known as temp files. If there's too many of them over the exercise yard it makes the incarceries run slow, so they have to clean them out regularly to make things run faster.

Not meaning to be prejudicial, but some of the denizens have slow processing speeds, and frequently have to be rebooted by the incarcerers.

Adele, datto and VB King like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

No - oddly enough they are supposed to speed up your browsing (by getting the pages off your disk instead of re-downloading). It could be symptomatic of a failing hard drive too. Might want to do a full surface scan (see internet on how to do).

The Y-man

datto likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You didn't perchance put all of those 'temp files' into two filing cabinets and sell them at auction did you?

5. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

How much space do u have on your hard drive? If you are super low on storage your computer won't want to do much at all. Deleting those temp files may have just given it enough storage to start downloading things again.

Im no expert though. But it did happen to a computer at work.

datto likes this.
  6. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Or sometimes temp files are where all the viruses and malware etc... hide. So u might have gotten rid of some that were slowing your pc.

The Y-man and datto like this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

No, only the XXX files.

I can feel a XXXX coming on lol.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  8. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Another thing that may surprise you is have a bunch of files or shortcuts on your desktop can slow things down to. Easy solution is to make a folder called "desktop" and just move everything in there ;)

Deleting temp files shouldn't cause any problems so long as you save any files you are actively working on. But if you want to do the purge in a more controlled way, go into your internet browse and clear the browsing data there.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

datto likes this.
  9. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

If you use Windows, you can go to Windows Administrative Tools, Disk Cleanup and run that. It supposedly cleans out some unnecessary files the system itself creates itself.

Other than that you can revert to using the Abacus and the Quill. The more mature technology along with button up boots.

Perthguy and datto like this.
  10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

You are now speaking my lingo!

Scott No Mates likes this.
  11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I got about 240 GB of free space. Plenty.

Perthguy likes this.
  12. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

@datto (and any others who find all this tech stuff challenging)

Assuming your running Windows 10, but most also works for older OS.
    Important Note/Warning: If your still using XP, its no-longer supported/upgraded by Microsoft, possibly making it vulnerable to security risks etc.

Do the following, all free and safe, done/used myself for years, no reason to change (yet).
    *Note: when installing any software just look for/untick any offers for additional trials, offers, buy me etc. (They offer upgrades, other software options etc, hoping people will select, revenue earner for them)

Firstly;
    Go into your router interface (& modem if not on NBN) and check you have the latest firmware for it/them.
    (If not sure how to do this, google the model/s for instructions, you may also find tips for performance tweaks, better security etc, like enabling Firewall)
    When done, Unplug power cords to both modem & router for 5+ mins, turn them back on.
    This will refresh your connection, do it occasionally if having issues.

However, for many it comes down to the ISP (Internet Service Provider) their using (not mentioning any). If your not a torrenter, I recommend Telecube | NBN Plans they prevent high traffic users, which slow it down for others, by restricting hourly download limits, won't effect you watching foxtel, netfix etc, but stops large (usually illegal) file sharers.

When internet up & running again;

Check you have the latest firmware for your Bios (an important chip on your motherboard)

While on the Motherboard manufactures website, check if there's an updating program (or manually check what you may not have) not all have them, or there buggy, depends who its from, but could help.
    Also, check your "Device Manager" for any issues -

Go to "Windows Update" select "Advanced Settings" tick "Give me updates to other Microsoft Products"
    Now run a manual check for any Windows updates.
    (You may have to restart PC after its finished)

Download/Install/Run the following;

Driver Booster Free 5.2.0.688
    Will update all outdated system drivers on your PC/laptop etc, make it run better, more secure.
    (You may have to restart PC after its finished)
    (Note: not all drivers update via this, some (like video card drivers) you have to manually check, usually via the Help or About menu/s, "Check for Updates", also important to do with non OS browsers now & then, in-case there's a glitch).

FileHippo App Manager 2.0 Beta 4
    Will update most software on your system, make it run better, more secure.
    (Note: not all software is on Filehippo, other software (& drivers, like video cards) you have to manually check, usually via the Help or About menu/s, "Check for Updates", also important to do with non OS browsers now & then in-case there's a glitch)

CCleaner 5.39.6399
    After install, first go to "Tools > Uninstall" tab, look through the list & uninstall any software you've installed in the past but no-longer use, any default OS software you likely won't use, like Xbox, Onenote, Apps etc. If not sure what something is, google it.
    Go back to "Cleaner" tab, tick all boxes under "Advanced" (once off for now)
    Click on "Run Cleaner" (bottom right corner) after it finishes clean, untick all boxes under "Advanced".
    Restart PC.
    Reopen CCleaner, go to "Registry" click "Scan for Issues" when its finished scanning click "Fix Selected Issues" click yes & backup, then "Fix all Issues" when done run this process a 2nd time.
    CC has some other advanced options, if interested, tutorial here (& elsewhere) -

Restart PC...

Should see an improvement, if you want to tweak your system further, there's plenty of tutorials out there, however some are from those thinking their doing the right thing, just gotta read the comments to assess, but this guy is trusted ;

For anti-virus/malware etc, I've never paid for it, I use;
    Free Antivirus Software - Download Bitdefender Free Edition (always on, whilst it requires email registration, there's no email spamming etc)
    Free Anti-Malware & Malware Removal (free version for occasional manual scan)

Trust that helps, any Q's just post or PM me ;-)

Last edited: 2nd Feb, 2018
    devank, Perthguy and datto like this.
  13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. There's a lot to go through as my internet is not running as quick as it was at 2 am today.

Also I think these web sites with video ads running on the side are not only chewing up my data but slowing things down.

I only got a small laptop running Win 8. with 1 GHZ AMD processor and 2GB ram. I think it's only a baby trying to do a man size job. Might be time to drop a big V8 in the engine bay.

Tim86 and Perthguy like this.
  14. Player

Player Well-Known Member

I never pictured you driving a Barina. Time to update young datto.......:D

datto likes this.
  15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

True. You can see here how small my lap top is. Bought it brand new 3 years ago for about $220 (floor stock discount).

[​IMG]

Perthguy likes this.
  16. DaveM

DaveM Adelaide Buyers Agent & KFC Strategist

From Robbo the courier at the pub who had "extras"?

datto likes this.
  17. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I still got the box it came in.

Not like it came through someone's back room window lol.

18. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I simply format the C drive and reinstall what I need. Practically every year.
    I never save any files on C. Always on D. So they are safe.

datto and Perthguy like this.
  19. DaveM

DaveM Adelaide Buyers Agent & KFC Strategist

Just be careful that you dont have someone in the druie overhear and think you say you need to clear your hemp files

datto likes this.
  20. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

What Browser are you using?

The Residz News page has many blogs and information providing various perspectives on the Australian property sector. Cut through the hype by taking a look at the articles from the last few months, with some interesting views from market experts.