Tell Owner/PM about potential AuPair?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by adrian_christian, 2nd Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. adrian_christian

adrian_christian Well-Known Member

Hi PC people!

We are renting at the moment, and while there are obvious do's and don'ts about sub-letting, people not on the lease living on premises etc... I can't find a clause (in our rental agreement anyways) that talks about allowing/informing about having an au pair living on the premises?

We have the additional room to convert for the au pair, and we are paying the au pair to live with us, unlike a sub-let where renters are collecting the $$...

Opinion welcome and thanks in advance!

2. Foxdan

Foxdan Well-Known Member

Just tell them you have an open marriage and your bringing a young lady to live there and turning one room into a special dungeon.
    They won't bother you again

Chivaun.Shortis, Barny, DaveM and 4 others like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'd be simply telling the PM the truth. I cannot imagine the landlord or agent would want the au pair on the lease.

4. adrian_christian

It's more of a case of, do I need the blessing of the owner to have an au pair living in the house at all??

5. wylie

I would think you risk the question of "who is sleeping in that bedroom?" that could be raised by the PM at a regular inspection.

It is no different in my opinion, to asking a family member to live with you. Wouldn't you want to pass that information to the PM to avoid awkward questions down the track?

I'd let the PM know you have an au pair and avoid any questions.

Last edited: 2nd Oct, 2017
    Joynz likes this.
  6. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

Usually on the Lease "the number of occupants allowed" will be stated. There are many reasons for this: safety is one, but from Owners' point of view, it's more of a wear-and-tear issue. Are utilities included?

So on that note, yes, please inform the PM.

BTW, did you have a new Bub?

7. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

I doubt they would worry about an au pair unless it makes the building crowded. It's easier to be honest in the long run but I can understand being concerned. Given you already have children on the lease, another person looking after them should be seen in a positive light. There may be insurance issues if you with hold the information so I would tell the PM/Landlord and go from there.

Gockie likes this.
  8. adrian_christian

Hi, yes we had a bub late last year, 10 months old now, going great guns :)

Gockie likes this.
  9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Congrats! I would see telling the owner and property manager in a positive light. Having an extra person to look after the kids... I'd put that down as responsible parenting.

10. Wukong

Wukong Well-Known Member

When we used to rent. It was two of us in a 3 bedroom apartment.

A year in, told them brother was going to come stay with us. Then a friend was coming to stay for an extended period. The agent eventually told us we don't have to tell them as long as we don't have more than 6 people staying there. 2 per bedroom is what she told me me.

11. wylie

Leases state number of people who will be living there. For every agent like the one you dealt with there will be an agent who will question why there is another adult living there, who is not on the lease.

Why risk having the agent and owners having to ask the question.

12. Wukong

Wukong Well-Known Member

We informed them everytime. Just saying it was always okay as long within limits.

13. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Many Property Managers have this strange opinion that having extra people on the lease is terrible and they will try to block your requests, but if you go about it the right way and get people approved then there's no issue at all. They also can't unreasonably refuse permission for people to come onto the lease, which is specifically listed in the general tenancy agreement.

14. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I’ve rented a place and had an aupair live in a spare bedroom - it didn’t even cross my mind to mention it to the property manager.

Personally - I wouldn’t bother telling them (not to say that’s the right approach - it’s just my thoughts).

Cheers

Jamie

15. Pumpkin

Pumpkin Well-Known Member

CONGRATS! How exciting.

16. Chivaun.Shortis

Chivaun.Shortis Well-Known Member

Just have the Au Pair as an approved occupant then you cannot be breached for extra people living at the property.

Tom Rivera and wylie like this.