Taxi Plates

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 10th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

I have very good word that all Taxi Plates will rise from Nivember after the Govt finishes their review into Uber ride sharing.

Currently averaging 310k -330k for a Sydney plate with a rental income of $450-530 weekly get in now before they go back up over 400k

2. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would not bet money on that one ,when you read and see the amount of business models that will close their shopfronts over the next year and go online only,i don't know anyone that uses Taxis anymore the only 2 business model that will never change from the basic format is gambling and prostitution the rest the future is unwritten..

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Um, gambling has changed heaps. There is now so much gambling online.

And as for the other one- I'd be really surprised if the Uber model wasn't being followed.

4. willair

But the core of the business model is still there that has never changed without too much clarity,how they sell the product may have changed ,you either drop your money on the table and roll the dice,or drop the money on the bed,and mobile prostitution have been around for hundreds of years just the transport model changes..

5. geoffw

@willair - granted. Although perhaps the Ashleigh Madsison scandal last week has shown a different way of doing business.

However, even if only the transport is changing, it has changed the business effectiveness of many traditional businesses.

6. willair

Why?..

7. geoffw

if people are doing business online, the traditional business models will suffer, like video rentals, bookstores and music shops. The core business hasn't changed but people who don't change their way of doing business will lose customers.

The taxi industry appears to be the latest sufferer. Ashleigh Maddison, which is a cheating website, may well be bypassing the traditional industry.

willair likes this.
  8. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

This sounds like an attempted pump and dump......holders looking for suckers :) put it out "on the street" and hope for the best....

9. willair

I just looked that site up,so I guess in some ways your are right with the delivery methodology,and I bet there would be a lot of people very worried as we speak from a site like that,.

10. HorribleWestie

HorribleWestie Active Member

I'd go short on this personally, even if the govt attempts to ban it... as they do in other places, the police don't actually police it and it just keeps on keeping on.

The Falcon likes this.
  11. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

I have good word that in a few years taxi plates will be worth less than they are today and that middling 6% returns won't in any way make up for that.

*good word may be my own unqualified opinion

charttv likes this.
  12. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Agreed, gambling is changing rapidly. I'm invested in a public unlisted company in this sector and it's pretty interesting to see what's going on

charttv likes this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

With nothing to back me up, I'd take a gamble that taxi licences will drop like a stone. How can anybody stop uber. Does anybody remember when newsagents were "gold".

14. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

There is a large amount of sovereign risk with taxi licenses. For example, the price of a license was slashed in Victoria after the Liberal Government reforms.

And yes, don't forget Uber. Maybe the government will come down on the side of license holders but I'm not so sure. After all the Liberal party tends to support competition in the market place. Even if you believe otherwise I wouldn't be backing that decision with a $300k investment

15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I know not much about taxi plates industry but i did look into it briefly years ago

So whats stopping (unlikely as it is) the taxi association deciding to make a drastic change that makes your investmwnt become half value.

Or flooding the market due to greed, incompetence, corruption, of higher authorities?

Thats what scared me to be honest

16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

17. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Melb taxi driver who has been driving for 13 years said it's never been this bad. Before he was making 1200 a week driving 5 days, now he drives 6 days and makes 8-900

18. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Ouch. I think they have auctions for them in some places.

20. MyArhidia

MyArhidia Member

Apart from competition such as uber, there is also the risk that the government can issue more plates. The value of existing plates will decrease overnight as a batch of new plates hit the street. Land on the other hand.......