Tax Tip 7: keep All Receipts forever

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Terry_w, 31st Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Tax Tip: keep All Receipts forever

By law you are only required to keep receipts for about 7 years. But this is 7 years after you claim an expense.

You should always keep your receipts just in case. If you move out of the main residence and rent it at some stage then the expenses incurred when you were living there can be used to reduce the CGT payable.

When someone dies and their property is inherited by someone else the cost base of the deceased will often be the cost base of the property for the person that inherited the property. So expenses incurred when the deceased was alive and living there or renting the property out can be relevant to the tax of the person that inherited the property.

Piston_Broke, chaos and fritzsticker like this.
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Seven years ? Five is law. I'm very comfortable with telling ATO staff that time has expired. Especially when the amendment period is just two years. The five year rule applies for allegations of fraud and evasion. I call it the shredding rule.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Tax-professi...tantiate-deductions/#How_long_to_keep_records

CGT records apply from the sale year not the year the cost was incurred. In that case the forever rule sort of applies. The ATO are bound by what are called PSLA.(Public Sector Law Admnistration) ..That the internal ATO rules. ..I care not for their limits. Its nice to advise they are out of time. Save my efforts and client $.

There are exceptions. NO records are required to be kept for some deductions. A benefit of tax advice.

Francesco and Terry_w like this.
  3. Terry_w

Have to consider other laws as well as tax law.

Corporations Act is 7 years for example as is anti money laundering legislation. Heaps of other legislation to consider as well.

Best to keep important records forever as it is easily done these days by scanning in and best to keep all receipts as you may not know which ones are important until much later.

4. James Hill

James Hill Active Member

What if I threw out a lot of my old council rates notices, but have the payments from my bank account
    Does the ATO accept bank statements as evidence of your payments in the absence of receipts?

5. Terry_w

Statements would prove you made a payment, but not what the payment is for.

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I have started taking photos of receipts from my phone then uploading to dropbox straightaway. Anything closely tax related I'll upload then when i get to it i sort all items. I keep an excel list of all receipts, file name, purpose and amount to send to Mr accountant at tax time.

7. Terry_w

Great idea. These days disk space is not so much an issue - can use google docs too.

melbgal likes this.
  8. bob shovel

A good app is cam scanner or any that convert to pdf rather than jpeg photo. its minimal data, plus dropbox you can either use to send to who you need as a link or transfer files to hard drive and email as attachements

sammmeee likes this.
  9. CosmicTrevor

CosmicTrevor Well-Known Member

If you are wanting to keep something forever I would not be using an online service as the primary storage place. Sure keep a copy there, but make sure you have a local copy as the master copy.

I know I'm a little old school on this, but I don't trust anyone with my records - both from a security perspective and also having confidence that it won't go missing.

hobo likes this.
  10. bob shovel

yeah i dont trust it either. its the easiest way i found to scan and park files on the run, then to be put into the computer, then deleted. I dont have a fancy office with a mahogany desk. mostly done on the run type stuff... pub lunch selfie for the tax man. he'll know how much the t bone was ;)

Ron_ likes this.
  11. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@Terry_w @Paul@PFI

How to deal with faded receipts?

Most officeworks and service station recipts are useless in a year or two.

For record keeping, I would recommend waveapps...bits xero,myob by miles.

12. Terry_w

They can't be used as evidence if they cannot be read - you will need to take extra care with these.

13. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

What about if receipts are destroyed, by something like a fire/flood? Not just 'a dog ate my homework' type excuse.

14. Terry_w

15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

For Office works, nowadays you can ask them to send a copy to your email

380 likes this.
  16. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

17. Paul@PAS

The ATO will generally ask for the receipt AND evidence of payment for some costs. If needed the council can generate a account showing the payment credited and together with your bank stmts should suffice. The statement alone is insufficient.

18. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Is there a reason as to why one wouldn't keep digital copies forever and toss the physical ones?

19. Paul@PAS

Honest answer ? Sometimes you don't want to have perfect proof if you also have something to hide. Often its nothing wrong either. Its the mistakes you aren't aware of. Careful with telling ATO you are a perfect taxpayer and handing them information. It can be used against you.

Scanned copies are very convenient if your records support how it was paid as well. Unlike thermal receipts PDFs don't fade.

20. thesuperman

thesuperman Well-Known Member

Or who you paid the council rates on the statements. Is it for you, parents, kids, friend, a random person of the street? ;)

fritzsticker and Terry_w like this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia