Tax Tip 59: Borrowing to Buy shares

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Terry_w, 18th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

2. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

This is misleading at best, and arguably wrong. Of the 500 companies in the sp500 about 80% pay a dividend. Generally at a dividend yield of between 1% and 2%.

3. Sgav

Sgav Well-Known Member

Regarding borrowing to invest, what happens to the interest deductibility on the loan if you change banks?

Example:

Joe is with NAB bank and borrows $200k (Loan B) on top of his $400k loan (Loan A) that he has on his PPOR. Joe gets tax advice and invests the $200k to buy income producing shares (e.g. VAS).

Three years later, Loan A is worth $350k (P&I), and Loan B is still $200k (interest only). Joe doesn't like his rates so he moves the loans over to Macquarie bank and gets .5% less. Joe now has a $350k P&I Loan (Loan A) and $200k interest only loan (Loan B) with Macquarie Bank.

Is Loan B still tax deductible?

Thanks

4. Terry_w

Changing lenders involves paying one loan out with another. That doesn't change the deductibility of interest. The loan will continue to be deductible to the extent it was before, assuming no detours or extra borrowed etc.

Sgav likes this.
  5. Amalthea84

Amalthea84 New Member

Ended up here via a link in the show notes for Aussie FIREbug’s debt recycling podcast with @Terry_w. Thank you for being so generous with your knowledge in these areas, I’ve learned a lot from your comments and threads.

I have a question regarding leftover funds after the buy contract goes through.

So you split your loan into portions A and B, pay down the split B zero, and redraw the available balance from plot B the empty brokerage cash account.
    After buying shares with an expectation they will pay dividends, there’s say $100 leftover in the trading account. If this $100 goes into the next share purchase will the entire interest from split B be deductible, or are we just accepting you can’t deduct 100% of interest and might have a small percentage of non-deductible interest payable on this split

Terry_w likes this.
  6. ChrisP73

ChrisP73 Well-Known Member

As long as you don't mix cash (non borrowed cash) in the brokerage account you should be fine. Ie it'll all be deductable.

A good reason to make sure your dividends are not paid to your brokerage account but a separate "cash collection" bank account.

7. Terry_w

I will have to write another tip on this i think

Amalthea84 and ChrisP73 like this.
  8. Terry_w

Not necessarily as you would be paying interest on the borrowed money but not be able to deduct this interest unless the money is invested. If it is a small amount though it won't really matter because of rounding up

Amalthea84 and ChrisP73 like this.
  9. Terry_w

I say 'generally' as there are exceptions. one is for non-tax residents

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Borrowing too much in a trust can also lose gross income (lost franking) much like non residents

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia