Tax Tip 182: Land Tax and Religion in NSW

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Terry_w, 7th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Tax Tip 182: Land Tax and Religion in NSW

In NSW, and probably other states (haven’t looked), there are land tax exemptions available for land owned by or in trust for a religious society. See ss 10(1)(e) and 10(1)(g)(i) of the Land Tax Management Act 1956 (NSW).

There are also limitations imposed by s10P to prevent the vesting of the property in members of the religious group.

Note that “religious” is not defined.

2. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Start one's own religion ?

Lets face it, the Catholics have the best locations around the country/world. High up on the hills with views to die (sic) for.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

They weren't allowed to erect a steeple so had to make so with the highest landmarks (prone to strong winds, lightning strikes, plagues & famine).

4. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Good excuse but most connywacker churches are on prime property. God knows.....;)

5. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Terry, I am thinking a ‘tip’ as something that offers a bit of a roadmap to potentially reducing my tax liability. Do this and not that sort of thing. Is there something to be said for me becoming more religious, maybe even a little god fearing. I guess attending church regularly would be a good start. Does that get me any closer? Maybe I should give up all the vice and sin, halt the S&M clubs and swingers scene that I so much enjoy. Turn over a new leaf so to speak. Hey, I will do anything to reduce my land tax.

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

It may be better to just pay the land tax.

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia