Tax Tip 114: Franked Dividends and Tax

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Terry_w, 3rd May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Interesting.
    Thanks
    Marg

2. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Thanks @Terry_w.... timely tip....

I am trying to get my head around how franking credit is considered for negative gearing calculation.....few examples I am looking at basically turns negatively geared investment in positive if you include franking credits...

Example....

Person borrows 100K @ 5% to invest in ANZ shares. So this 5K will be deductible....let's ANZ dividend is 4% and 2% franking credits (fully franked). Person's other income is 51K.

So at tax time, person receives 4K in dividend and 2K franking credits. Also its claiming 5K against its other income....So end picture for this person is
    (51K current income + 4K income -5K deductible) = 50K assume tax @ 30% so total tax liability is 15K out of which 2K franking credits offset hence final bill is
    13K....

However, if we look at just the investment portion for person i.e. 4K income + 2k franking credits - 5K deduction = 1K income....in ATO eyes is it positively geared??? if we remove the 2K franking credit from this calculation then we have -1K (negatively geared)...

trying to understand how does tax office look at this investment arrangement....is it geared +/-???

3. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

The example $2k franking credits are assessable...

So ignoring all the quirks of reality (medicare levy etc etc) taxable income is 51 + 4 + 2 - 5 = 52

Tax is is 52 x 30% = 15.6

Less 2k franking offset

= 13,600 tax payable

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You are assessed as if you received $51+4+2-5 then any tax that you've paid is deducted and the franking credits are added to the tax already paid.

You then get a cheque or a bill against the amount of tax assessed against your income.

5. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Yes, what I thought, thanks.
    Sounds like I would be better off moving to shares with higher yields and no franking if possible, but the highest yields are fully franked anyway... (you would think unfranked dividends could be higher... but no). The franking credits are useless since they just move the tax payable from Australia to another country (Spain).

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

ATO is interested in taxable income. It doesn’t matter whether separate investments are positively or negatively geared.

7. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Thanks @marty998 for clarifying the calculation....

just to keep investment in mind....4+2-5....so i guess in ATO terms this is positively geared??

8. Terry_w

I am not sure of the answer to this.

9. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

Thanks Terry....so if labor party comes in power....5K as per the example is not deductible i guess as they will be removing negative gearing....correct??

10. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Yep, If company does not change payout ratio, say 65% for example then the dividend per share will increase but franking credit per share will decrease in reduced company tax scenario.

Net result, it's a wash.

11. Terry_w

I have no idea on these proposed changes.

12. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Err... I would have thought investment expenses are deductible only to the extent there is investment income...

So $5k is still deductible for you in that example..

but yeah, Labor policy didn't have the full details...

13. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

it would be interesting once they release the details....my understanding is anything except new properties can't b negatively geared if they come to power....

14. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

Hi @Terry_w If you reinvest all dividends back into the shares how does the frank dividends work... Can you still claim them?

Cheers

15. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

I reinvest dividends and claim franking credits. The two are quite separate. On the statement the total amount of the dividend is stated, then how many shares purchased and for how much.
    Marg

RM1827 likes this.
  16. Terry_w

Reinvesting is the same as recieving money and buying shares again - without the brokerage

Marg4000 and RM1827 like this.
  17. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Using a margin loan one can greatly increase their dividend income but margin loans can be risky especially when highly geared.

There used to be a practice of "dividend washing" where by an investot could claim the franking credit twice on a parcel of shares. But the party pooper ATO cracked down on this practice several years ago.

So there was a time when high yield shares plus margin lending plus dividend washing made an investor a heck of a lot of money.

18. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

I think you can still do it (twice) as long as the franked credits are below 5000 per year. Other than that 45 day holding rule applies.
    Any information sources on portfolio management, entry exit rules and stop losses just for dividend washing.

datto likes this.
  19. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Denied franking credits applies to any scheme to farm franking credits. The double dip scheme for farmed credits was subject to a taxpayer alert. It could end in criminal charges.

20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yes subject to the deed allowing streaming of trust income. However its not that easy. Some beneficiaries arent taxed. The trustee is.
    Peanut Shorten announced a concern long ago about retirees and investors who get franking credit refunds. He wanted to end the practice of franking at one point and revert to the pre-Keating days.